Lake Huron trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would like your input on when to schedule this trip for next year.

It looks like the season is May through September. Generally speaking the the charter prices are lowest in May and get a little higher as the season progresses.

The reason for this seems to be water temperature. Cooler in May and warmer later in the season.

The plan is to drive up to St Ignace on Friday, dive on Saturday and return home on Sunday.

The boat can take six divers. If more than six are interested I'll see what we can work out.

What is the name of the charter you are using? There are many charters up there. What about Dive & Glide? I talked to him back in June, they seemed very reasonable with the prices and diving.

With this much warning I should be pretty open.

Chad

starting early this time. I'm hoping we can fill the boat or even better we may need to arrange more boats.

How cool is cooler?

Yea, I am LOOKING at 7 mil wetsuits. Emphasize looking.

What wrecks are you talking about?

Mark

jbd once bubbled...

It looks like the season is May through September. Generally speaking the the charter prices are lowest in May and get a little higher as the season progresses.

The reason for this seems to be water temperature. Cooler in May and warmer later in the season.

The plan is to drive up to St Ignace on Friday, dive on Saturday and return home on Sunday.

The boat can take six divers. If more than six are interested I'll see what we can work out.

The other is weather. Fall weather in nothern Mich is much less forgiving in general. Your rolling the dice a little more as you get closer to the Fall or Winter. Some charters shut down in Sept. for just that reason.

Are you diving the Straits? If so, don't miss the Cedarville, it's my favorite in the Straits. It's been awhile since i've done a charter there but years ago i used "Wreck Divers" & they did a nice job

PS: The current can get rippin in the Straits depending on wind direction & weather so be prepared for that.

jbd once bubbled...

Also, May is also a more volitile month as far as the weather, May and early June you tend to get blown off the wrecks more. A couple of other points you may want to think about...Labor Day is a big weekend with Bike to the bridge and Walk the Bridge day. Not a good weekend to be in the Straites, (thousands of people in town that weekend). Weekend after Labor Day is usually good and the motel prices go way down.

Another good charter to check out is Macomb Dive Shop.

Good luck,

by the comments from wrecNcaver and gedunk it looks like something in Julu and August would be best.

k4sdi--water temps at the surface range from 50 to 65 degrees. July and August having the warmer temps. Late August on will be out of the question for me due to kids being in school. Prices are slightly cheaper in May but the water will be cooler and the weather less reliable as noted.

I'm thinking July 11-13 or July 18-20 or July 25-27 or August 1-3 or August 8-10.

I don't know this early when my conference will be next year but they are usually in July and August. But don't let me get in the way. Plan the trip and if I can go I will be there.

Chad

poke in the ribs to remind folks to let me know when is a good time to schedule this trip. I really would like to get at least six people committed to this and would truly like to see 12 people make this trip.

Back
Top Bottom