Lake George Diving spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Want to Dive lake George this summer. Wanted to know....Do I need a boat to get to good areas.... is it O.K. to do Solo..... Is Drysuit recomended...I have a Map of the Lake so I can pin point any spots you memtion...Thanks

There are a number of public shore access points, such as from Rogers Rock State Park in the north end. From there, it would be feasible to do a long swim to get to some impressive drop-offs and walls at the base of Rogers Slide.

In other parts of the lake, there are also some old docks that are accessible from shore, I believe. Reportedly, clay pipes and old glass bottles can be found in the mud there. I don't know the specific location or how to gain permission to dive there.

I always used my own boat when diving Lake George. I've done about 30 or more dives there over multiple trips. Good shoals, drop-offs and rock formations can be found on some fishing maps and sonar and/or gps can put you right where you want to be. In fact, a mile or so across from Rogers Rock State Park is a very steep rocky point called Anthony's Nose, where there are underwater walls and boulder piles dropping quickly to 140' or more. The visibility in Lake George is so good that at 140' on one dive, I shut off my light and was still able to see adequately about 10'. Amazing, really!

Finding lost fishing and boating gear was fun, as was having good to excellent visibility (25 to 50' quite often).

Although I never arranged it, I had always wanted to dive on some of the historical wrecks, such as the Land Tortoise radeau, a well-preserved military vessel lying in about 105' of water in the south end of the lake. It can be dived if permission is obtained from the state:

The Land Tortoise Underwater Preserve Site - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

As far as diving solo, Lake George won't present challenges that can't be anticipated, as it usually has temps in the low 40's down deep, minimal current, good vis and moderate boating activity. The last might become a bigger and more unpredictable risk, however, as I'm sure you know from diving Cape Cod Canal..... :shakehead:

Good websites for Lake George diving info:

http://users.wsg.net/sandon/lake.htm

http://www.lakegeorge-vacations.com/lake_george_scuba_diving.htm

Dave C

Hey Dave....I was hoping you would anwser that post. Thanks so much for all the info. Seems like a boat would be a real benefit. I have a 14fter that would trailer easy. I'll pm you when I go up,see if you can go thanks again

I was hoping you'd ask.... :D

I sold my 19' foot boat three years ago and my 14' has an unreliable motor, so, at the moment, my own boat diving has been curtailed.... :(

Unfortunately, I'm going to be away from June 25 to around July 23, so it might not work out. It would be great if it does!

Either way, I'll be glad to send you more details about Lake George dive sites I found interesting. If I can find my gps coordinates, I'll send those to you.

Here are some pics of Rogers Rock to whet your appetite.

Dave C

A view of Rogers Rock as seen from the base of Anthony's Nose (aka Profile Rock), a mile away. Rogers Rock rises almost 700' above the water and descends below the water just as dramatically to over 100'. I think diving Anthony's Nose is even more impressive with huge boulders piled along the walls and slopes. Also, at Anthony's Nose, one can reach deeper water (140' or more), which can be very interesting with the good visibility and good ambient light typical of Lake George's northern end.
Lake_George_P6250210_062503_Rogers_Rock_Rogers_Slide-_SB.jpg

Side view of Rogers "Slide", the smooth portion of Rogers Rock.
Lake_George_P6200032_060202_Rogers_Slide_side_view-_SB.jpg

Conditions can change pretty quickly. When setting up close to the Rock, two anchors reduce swing, if they both hold.... I always try to check the set of both.
Lake_George_P8200002_082002_Rogers_Slide_boat-_SB.jpg

Last edited:
Dave...great pics...that must be your 19fter ...looks like a nice dive boat. I'am salavating at that ''rock drop'' I love those freshwater walls. Do you get narced at 140? Nice not to be in blackness at that depth. Thanks for all the info. Geting excited

Do you have any underwater pic from your dives there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any underwater pic from your dives there?

Sunken Island is another interesting dive site in the north end of Lake George. It's an underwater plateau about 5/8 of a mile long and 3/8 of a mile across. It's located about 3/4 mile off Hague, NY, 4 miles south of Rogers Rock. It's remarkable because the top is shallow, 20 to 35' mostly, but the sides drop steeply to the 90' bottom that surrounds it. Also, the top of the plateau has a more sandy substrate than the typical lake bottom and fish and plant life appeared to be more abundant there.

Visibility was usually very good, being further away from the shoreline. I've done several dives on Sunken Island with visibility of 40' or more on top of the plateau and about 25' vis at the base (90' depth).

Pics follow. Thanks for asking.... It's nice to see these again! :)

Dave C

My buddy and a school of sunfish on the top of the plateau. Perch, rockbass, and smallmouth bass were plentiful, too.
Lake_George_062303_P6240133_Sunken_Island-_SB.jpg

The steep walls of the plateau drop down to about 90' where the bottom flattens out again, quickly becoming the typical silt lake bottom. My buddy is at about 80' here.
Lake_George_062303_P6240157_Sunken_Island_80_ffw-_SB.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pics. The rock formations look pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave...great pics...that must be your 19fter ...looks like a nice dive boat. I'am salavating at that ''rock drop'' I love those freshwater walls. Do you get narced at 140? Nice not to be in blackness at that depth. Thanks for all the info. Geting excited

I'm sure I get narc'd to a degree, especially in low light or low vis, but, so far, I've been able to manage my emotional state and keep good track of my dive time and gas supply. It seems I've been able to follow my dive plan almost as well as I do in shallower water.... Unfortunately, my usual "dive plan" allows for quite a bit of leeway and on-the-fly changes anyway.... :wink:

If the dive or the buddy requires it, I stick to a more rigid plan.... :D

I haven't had any bad surprises yet.... :shocked2:

Dave C

Those pics at 80ft look like vis. in 20ft in N.E. ocean water [as you know] I'll be up your way this weekend [have to do some work on our Condo] But ....I always bring ''the dive stuff''

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom