Lake Fenton MI, North End Shore Access - CLOSED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Public denied use of popular beach area

By: Cheryl Dennison , Staff Reporter 08/15/2002

Fenton Twp. - The area known as "Pig Beach" off North Long Lake Road in Fenton Township is causing quite a controversy these days. For years, the area has long been used by swimmers and boaters to enjoy the sandy beach, and where boaters anchor for the day.

Residents in the area, however, say the activities there have gotten out of hand. And on July 4, when boats jammed the area and festivities got out of hand, complaints of drunk, disorderly behavior and nudity brought several police cars to the scene. The issue could no longer be ignored, according to George Stolzenfeld, who claims ownership of the property.

"There is too much going on there," said Stolzenfeld. "And quite frankly, I can't afford that kind of liability," he added. After the July 4 weekend, Stolzenfeld placed "no trespassing" signs on the fence that lines his property beside Fenton Harbor Condominiums.

Stolzenfeld said he put up the signs because someone is going to get hurt. Another factor in his decision is the amount of garbage left behind by the boaters. After receiving numerous complaints from nearby residents about the noise and the garbage, he said he talked to the police who said they were going to monitor the area more closely.

"I was not forced by the township or the police to do this," he said. Stolzenfeld said it has been an ongoing problem every weekend but the July 4 celebration was when he drew the line. "I just don't want anyone to get hurt," he said.

Stolzenfeld said holes have been torn in the fence where people walk in the road and it is just a "accident waiting to happen."

His question as well as the question of Fenton Township Treasurer Joan Garfield is, "Where do all the people come from?" At a recent township meeting Garfield said the DNR needs to monitor more closely who gets on the lake.

Garfield said she also has mixed feelings about the area not being open for people to use anymore. Garfield also questions who really owns the property.

"Stolzenfeld is not on the tax rolls as owning that property," said Garfield and said he has not been taxed for the property.

Stolzenfeld said he purchased the property in 1994 with a silent partner from the developer of the Fenton Harbor Condominiums.

Stolzenfeld's attorney, George Rizik, verified Stolzenfeld has a registered deed to the property, tax bills and a survey giving a legal description of the property.

"It appears he owns it," said Rizik. He said that while riparians have the right to use the water, Stolzenfeld has the right to not allow people to trespass on his property.

Garfield said she thinks the problems stem from too many boats on the lake. "I think the DNR is not counting the boats coming in and checking to see how many boats are allowed on the lake," said Garfield. DNR representative Bill White said 76 parking spaces are available at the public access on Lake Fenton and that is the number of boats launched from the site. Trustee Bonnie Mathis noted at the last board meeting that people are launching their boats and then parking at a nearby school parking lot, which would allow more boats on the lake.

Supervisor Carl Gabrielson said the sheriff's department put extra deputies on the lake after the Fourth of July. He said the township will not allow or tolerate drunkenness and disorderly behavior or nudity on the lake and they received many complaints. This led to a meeting with the sheriff's department.

"There has to be sanity for the people that live in that area," he said.

He also said at this point, the township is not saying one way or another if Stolzenfeld is the owner of the property, but did say the property is not on the tax rolls and there is no record of taxes paid for the shore line.

Genesee County Sherriff Robert Pickell is also concerned about the area. He said on July 4, over 400 people were at the beach area and there was a lot of underage drinking going on. Condominium owners were complaining of people urinating and vomiting on their property, he said. He said several county police cars were called as well as the state police, Grand Blanc police and the DNR. "Six arrests were made," he said.

Pickell said he spoke with both Gabrielson and Stolzenfeld regarding the problem. He said Stolzenfeld was not pleased with the activity and concerned about his liability. Contrary to previous reports, Pickell said Stolzenfeld didn't want to see people on his property and he wanted the sheriff's department to enforce the no trespassing.

Pickell is concerned about a recent ticket issued to a local resident and former school teacher for using the area in spite of the no trespassing signs.

"He said he wanted a ticket," said Pickell.

The man became indignant, Pickell said, after he was told to move his boat. The deputy told him if he wanted to fight a cause he should go to court.

Pickell said he is also a little confused by the actions of the man who received the ticket.

"I have a great respect for school teachers," said Pickell and the man's conduct was a surprise in that a school teacher would support a cause where there was the potential for so many young people to get hurt.

Steve Bayley, former teacher for the Lake Fenton School District, was the man who was ticketed. And he said he was trying to prove a point.

"I'm sticking up for the general public," said Bayley. "We just want to be able to use the beach."

Bayley went to court on Monday and pled not guilty to the charge of trespassing. He said the surface of the lake is public and he did not enter the beach area until asked to do so by the deputy.

http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5046091&BRD=2524&PAG=461&dept_id=494488&rfi=8
[/font]

'Pig Beach' to stay open DNR rules against 'no anchor' zone
By: Cheryl Dennison , Associate Editor 03/27/2003

Fenton - The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) could find no reason to establish a "no anchor" area at the north end of Lake Fenton, the area commonly referred to as Pig Beach. According to Supervisor Carl Gabrielson, the DNR made their decision last week. The letter from the DNR states that the department finds that no significant conditions presently exist which necessitate the establishment of a "no anchor" ordinance.
A public hearing on the issue was held in February, where more than 100 residents attended and shared their views on whether a "no anchor" ordinance should exist. The majority of those attending the hearing were against a "no anchor" ordinance. Many of those not in favor, while agreeing the area could be loud and boisterous, was not a safety issue.
Lawrence Johnson, president of the Fenton Harbor Condominium association and resident of the area, strongly supported a "no anchor" zone and had requested the support of the township which led to the public hearing.
Johnson had asked at the hearing that a "no anchor" area be considered because the cost of "keeping the party going" was too much.
Many residents at the public hearing said the problems at Pig Beach were an enforcement issue rather that a safety issue.
The DNR stated in their letter the local watercraft control process as written was intended to regulate safety issues. It also said violations such as disorderly conduct, trespassing, littering, and minors in possession of alcohol are all covered by existing state law. "Based on testimony at the hearing as well as the investigation of the hearing officer and a lack of an ongoing safety concern covered by using existing state law, the state of Michigan, the DNR Law Enforcement Division does not recommend an anchorage ordinance for Lake Fenton at this time."
The property owner, George Stolzenfeld, could not be reached for comment.

http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7503450&BRD=2524&PAG=461&dept_id=494488&rfi=8

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pig Beach owner demands enforcement of trespassing laws
By: Vera Hogan , Editor 07/26/2004

Fenton Twp. - Township officials received a letter on Thursday from George Stolzenfeld, a township business owner, who also owns the property along the north end of Lake Fenton, commonly referred to as Pig Beach. Stolzenfeld is demanding enforcement of trespassing laws.Stolzenfeld said he hasn't been to the recent township meetings when his property has been discussed, but based on information he's heard of what is being said, he responded, "This stuff flying around is getting ridiculous."In his July 22 letter to the Fenton Township Board of Trustees, Stolzenfeld said he is the owner of the land and beach located at the north end of Lake Fenton, commonly known as Pig Beach."Lately, I have become aware of statements made to the effect that the owner of Pig Beach has consented to its use by the public or will not object to its use by the public," said Stolzenfeld in his letter. "These statements are false."Stolzenfeld said he has posted "no trespassing" signs on his property and intends to enforce his property rights. "I will also report all trespassing of which I am aware to Fenton Township for enforcement of criminal trespass laws," he said."So that there is no mistake about my intentions as owner of the property: I do not consent to the use of Pig Beach by any person except those to whom I have granted express written permission. As of this date I have not granted permission to anyone to use my property. If anyone violates my property rights and goes onto Pig Beach, I will report the trespass to Fenton Township and expect the township to take action against the trespassers."Stolzenfeld said he has been trying to resolve this problem for the past two years. In a letter written to former Supervisor Carl Gabrielson on Sept. 19, 2002, Stolzenfeld's attorney, George Rizik, wrote about an article that appeared in The Flint Journal (Sept. 17, 2002), where the reporter mistakenly reported that Stozenfeld "doesn't care if people ... go on the beach once in a while." Rizik informed Gabrielson at that time that Stolzenfeld posted "no trespassing" signs on the property because he doesn't want anyone to go on the property. "He has not changed his desire or intention to keep his property private and unavailable for others to use," said Rizik in his letter. "Certainly, others have the right to use the waters of Lake Fenton, but that right doesn't extend to the use of waterfront property belonging to private individuals, like Mr. Stolzenfeld," Rizik said.

After the 2002 Fourth of July fiasco that garnered the extensive media attention at Pig Beach, Gabrielson contacted the Genesee County Sheriff's Department to beef up patrols. The situation improved in the summer of 2003, but this year, problems are surfacing again with boaters ignoring the rights and wishes of the property owner.

http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12485008&BRD=2524&PAG=461&dept_id=494488&rfi=8
[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1]Pig Beach boaters ignore trespassing signs [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
By: Cheryl Dennison , Associate Editor 08/10/2004

Fenton Twp. - It was hot and humid last Saturday afternoon. Bright, colorful boats, pontoons and personal watercraft dotted the buoyant waters of Lake Fenton. The beach area, commonly referred to as Pig Beach, located along North Long Lake Road, was lined with boats and the party began. Loud music, raucous laughter and obscenities were heard by those who live nearby.

The long weeds and the rusty fence hide the shoreline from the road. A pizza delivery car was parked by the fence and the bright yellow "no trespassing" signs were ignored as one of the boaters stepped up on the beach to pick up the pizza, as noted by a passing driver.

It was reported previously George Stolzenfield, who owns the property, sent a letter to the township demanding enforcement of trespassing laws.

Stolzenfield said previously he had posted no trespassing signs on his property and intends to enforce his property rights.

To date, it appears trespassing signs are ignored.

"So that there is no mistake about my intentions as owner of the property: I do not consent to the use of Pig Beach by any person except those to whom I have granted express written permission. If anyone violates my property rights and goes onto Pig Beach, I will report the trespass to Fenton Township. Do expect the township to take action against the trespasses," said Stolzenfield previously.

But who actually enforces this?

According to Supervisor Bonnie Mathis, the township attorney, Richard Cooley, was asked as to what constitutes trespassing at the north end of Lake Fenton on or near the property commonly known as "Pig Beach." Cooley provided his answer in a written letter.

Cooley said if the sheriff's deputies observe a trespass, they should ask a violator to vacate the property. He also said generally the complaint in a trespass case should be signed by the landowner or his agent.

The landowner may wish to authorize the sheriff's department in writing to act as his agent for prosecuting purposes, in cases where he does not personally witness the trespass, said Cooley.

Cooley also said that the landowner could authorize someone who lives nearby to act as his agent for trespass prosecution purposes. He said that request needs to be in writing and could also be used by the designated person to request that trespassers leave when no sheriff's department personnel are present.

Anchoring boats offshore in that area is a different matter, according to Cooley. He said in this particular case, the riparian landowner's title to the property may actually end at the water's edge rather than extending to the center of the lake.

Cooley said he has not personally checked the title documents, but has been advised by a local attorney who has, that this is so.

So, although boaters are not entitled to anchor on a long term or indefinite basis on lake bottomland they do not own, boaters are entitled to anchor to the extent that their anchoring is incidental to navigation and this would, in his opinion, include the boaters who anchor offshore for a few hours at the Pig Beach location.

"Such offshore anchoring would not constitute a trespass," Cooley said, in his opinion.

Cooley also said in his written statement, misdemeanor prosecutions for offensive behavior by occupants of vessels anchored offshore could be handled pursuant to the new Fenton Township Disorderly Person Ordinance.

Complaints in such cases could be signed by sheriff's deputies on the scene or by lay witnesses who observe the ordinance violation, he said.

http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12651254&BRD=2524&PAG=461&dept_id=494488&rfi=8

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1]Fenton Harbor Condos now in possession of Pig Beach [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1]Owner changes name to 'Snug Harbor' [/size][/font]

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
By: Vera Hogan , Editor 08/12/2004
Fenton Twp. - It's official, the Fenton Harbor Condominium Association took possession of the north end of Lake Fenton, commonly known as Pig Beach, on Tuesday.

According to President Lawrence Johnson, Fenton Harbor Condominium Association has leased that property from owner George Stolzenfeld for an undisclosed amount of money, until Sept. 30, 2005. Lease renewal options may be available at that time.

Johnson met Tuesday morning with Fenton Township Supervisor Bonnie Mathis, a Genesee County Sheriff's deputy and the township's code enforcement officer, to work out details of enforcement, which began in earnest Tuesday evening.

"We will be enforcing no trespassing," said Johnson. "Fenton Harbor is going to sign complaints about trespassing there.

"Our main thing is to clean that area up. We are getting with the Genesee County Marine Patrol and the DNR and will start enforcing it today," Johnson said Tuesday morning.

Additionally, the owner of the property, George Stolzenfeld, has requested that the name of the property be changed immediately. It will from this day forward be known as "Snug Harbor."

Stolzenfeld, according to Johnson, may build on the property in the future.

Johnson said he has spent the last eight years working on the problem of trespassers at the north end of Lake Fenton.

"The last three years have been a total nightmare," he said.

Johnson attributes the increase in problems to a culture change, and believes much of it has to do with the music young people listen to today.

When the beach party-goers "get some booze into them," usually around 6 o'clock in the evening, Johnson said it "really gets bad," with the swearing and more.

"It's terrible listening to that music," Johnson said. "It's especially embarassing when you have company."
http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12669037&BRD=2524&PAG=461&dept_id=494488&rfi=8

So access is REALLY gone now! Everyone knows that the rights of condo owners with lots of money behind them, to close what for many years was a public beach, is much more important than the rights of some poor divers to access the water and walk in to dive.

Let's hear it for America, land of the free and home of the brave!

Wouldn't it be possible to enter the lake directly from the north end? I do think there is no private ground between lake and street. There are no facilities but...

Dilldapp

cldwdiver:
I happened to be down by Fenton today and drove by the private boat launch that has been used by divers for several decades to get at the wrecks in the North End of Lake Fenton. You will now need a boat to get to them.

It now has a Posted - No Trespassing sign next to the driveway. All of us who live nearby have been waiting for this to happen, since the property was sold early this summer. We actually got several more months of diving than was predicted. At one time, the site was rumored to close May 1st, but several delays occurred in its sale.

North End of Lake Fenton
* It was better than not diving.
* It was seldom clear and mostly silty.
* It has introduced several decades of divers to SCUBA diving.
* It was cheap and an OK place for a weeknight dive.
* It actually was a pretty good practice site for limited vis and compass work.
* It kept many divers in the water, when they otherwise might have dropped the sport, simply because it was close and cheap.
* Many divers met new friends and new dive buddies there.

Will I miss it? You bet.... I already do.

Nope,
That thin strip of land along the fence is precisely what the Condo owners leased from the actual owner. It is private land and so is the grassy spot across the road.

Sorry, but the north end is a boat access only site now.

There isn't much to see at the Lake Fenton Community Center, but I may be getting just desperate enough to jump in there soon. They are predicting T-storms for Labor Day weekend or I might have considered it. It has been 2 weeks since my last dive.

Safe diving :)

My brother lives directly across the street from Pig Beach! Anyway, I've always heard that the basin off there was a nifty dive, but I've never been. I have a boat now, so the fence isn't an issue, but I have no dive buddy.

Roy

Wallyg8r:
My brother lives directly across the street from Pig Beach! Anyway, I've always heard that the basin off there was a nifty dive, but I've never been. I have a boat now, so the fence isn't an issue, but I have no dive buddy.

Roy
Great! When do we go?

-Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom