lake diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb900c82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
May sound like a strange question, but, does anyone know the legality of diving in lakes in Florida? I mean, there's a lot of water out there. If I were to find a lake that was deep enough, can I just throw out my flag and go for it? I know state parks have rules, but is there a general rule for lakes that can be accessed from public land? I have a feeling if I asked the local police, they'd say no I couldn't. But I'd always wonder if that's the correct answer or just what they thought was right.

While I can't answer your questions on the finer legal points of lake access, I will say that there's only one lake I can think of (I'm sure if there are more, there aren't a lot more) that's even remotely hospitable to diving. Furthermore, while it's an ok place to work on skills, it doesn't exactly come to mind when I think of memorable dives.

All things considered (the low viz, the alligators, now algae and other microbe blooms) there's a lot of other worthwhile places to dive than Florida lakes.

The lake I was thinking of was Lake Denton near Avon Park and there is public access for divers (no facilites). Just trail a float.

You can dive in any lake that has public access I don't know that I would want to in most lakes I've seen. Vis is usualy real bad.
Make sure the lake is spring fed. You can usualy tell by the clarity of the water. If you know someone that lives on a lake you can go in from their property. You can dive in any of the lake or river that have public boat ramps . KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOUR THE ONLY ONE DIVING THE PEOPLE IN THAT AREA WON"T BE LOOKING FOR YOU. A BBIIIGGG DIVE FLAG MIGHT BE ADVISED.
Even with that you can bet that most people won't know what it means. Be very careful. The bottom of most lake are real silty amd it stirs up easy. Not sure your idea is a good one but each to his own. There are several web site that list places that look like retention pond that are realy deep holes. Most lead into caves so becareful of that also. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom