Lake Cleanup Event - Orlando Area - Calling all advanced divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberfed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,
My girlfriend works for the city of Winter Park, for those of you who do not know where this is, its a micro city within the Orlando area. She works in the parks and recreation department she does beautification projects for the city.

Between March 1st and April 30th of next year (2009). She has gotten approval from the city to allow advanced scuba divers to dive some of the lakes to clean up trash from them.

If you would be interested in helping out and diving the lakes to clean them up please let me know.

You must be able to show proof of having an advanced OW certificate.

More info regarding the particular lakes is coming (depth, hazards, wildlife ect..).
Safety is first so we will not be diving in any lakes that contain alligators. All divers will work in a buddy team. Must own a good bright light. Must own gloves.
Divers will sign a waiver of liability before entering the water. Diver assumes any and all risks associated with this event.

There is no charge to dive and a prize will be given to the diver that returns with the "weirdest" trash object. Depending on the turn out I will even pay for air fills out of my personal pocket if people need it.

Again this is all in the early stages..more info to come. Just curious to see what kind of feedback we can expect.

Thanks!

I would be down, but I don't have AOW :-(

In the past to make these successful events, local dive shops have offered free air/nitrox, and the place benefiting would offer free food. Ginnie springs does river cleanups this way.

I'm in. When you get the dates set I will verify my schedule but it sounds like a good cause. You don't have to have food or air fills on my account. I know how to find both when I need them.

I will pitch in to buy food for the divers, just some burgers, dogs and sides ect..
I'll check with my girlfriend to see if she can get Winter Park to pitch in some cash towards goodies. I don't mind paying out of my pocket to help fund the project. Glad to see people are interested, awesome!!

Any reason for requiring AOW? city requirement? would other non OW certifications (cavern,cave) allow for a diver to participate? It seems that in a silty lake, with lots of entanglement hazards(people love fishing these lakes), A diver with a streamlined configuration, proper trim and buoyancy would be a valuable member of the team.

Cavern and Cave would be accepted as well.
Any certification past basic OW would be fine. I want to make sure the people diving have a good mindset regarding low viz, silting, trim, hazards ect..

It's not a city mandated thing, I am making up the guidelines as I learn more.
Proof of aow or cavern or cave must be shown the day of the dive though.

Too cool. ScubaBoard is now BASED out of Winter Park Florida, so let's show some SB love to these Central Florida Lakes! I'm in, and have your girlfriend contact me so we can do some more!

Hey folks,
My girlfriend works for the city of Winter Park, for those of you who do not know where this is, its a micro city within the Orlando area. She works in the parks and recreation department she does beautification projects for the city.

Between March 1st and April 30th of next year (2009). She has gotten approval from the city to allow advanced scuba divers to dive some of the lakes to clean up trash from them.

If you would be interested in helping out and diving the lakes to clean them up please let me know.

You must be able to show proof of having an advanced OW certificate.

More info regarding the particular lakes is coming (depth, hazards, wildlife ect..).
Safety is first so we will not be diving in any lakes that contain alligators. All divers will work in a buddy team. Must own a good bright light. Must own gloves.
Divers will sign a waiver of liability before entering the water. Diver assumes any and all risks associated with this event.

There is no charge to dive and a prize will be given to the diver that returns with the "weirdest" trash object. Depending on the turn out I will even pay for air fills out of my personal pocket if people need it.

Again this is all in the early stages..more info to come. Just curious to see what kind of feedback we can expect.

Thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom