Laguna Surf Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The crew decided they wanted to hit the beach today, so we headed down to Laguna. Called the Laguna lifeguards on the way down and they said viz was 0-5 ft., so I wasn't expecting much. I almost instinctively went to grab my dive gear, then remembered there would be no diving today. :pity_part

Grabbed my camera and binoculars instead.

We pulled into Shaw's Cove, and I was surprised to see the changes since my last visit a month or so ago. Lots of large rocks at the bottom of the stairs that didn't used to be there. Surf was kinda choppy, sets only maybe 2-3 ft., and the water looked pretty clear. Definitely divable from a surf perspective. Small sets, long time between. Got out the binoculars, and out towards Deadman's I was very surprised to see what looked like a couple of divers hanging around a dive float. They were headed back to shore, so I hung out to ask them about conditions. Surprisingly they said viz was around 10-12 ft. It was their second dive of the day, and they said there were about 10 divers there this morning.

After a wonderful Husky Boy cheeseburger, we stopped at Crescent Bay. Surf was noticeably higher there, probably 4-5 ft. A bunch of boogie boarders where getting some nice rides. Green Room.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the rain and runoff, I'd definitely be diving tomorrow.

Here are some photos. First two photos below are Shaw's, third is my honey and the kids. Looks like the boy is doing his tribute to the late Ray Charles.

"Georgia. Georgia..."

Hi Jim,

It's Jan, long time no see! Hey, I will be leading a monday night dive tomorrow night in Laguna if you want to join us. The group is South Orange County Dive Club. We will be meeting at the Laguna Hills Mall at 6:30pm between Macy's and Kings Fish House. If you need more info, PM me, or give me a buzz.

All the best for a Happy New Year! Hope to dive with you soon.

Diver_Jan:
Hi Jim,

It's Jan, long time no see! Hey, I will be leading a monday night dive tomorrow night in Laguna if you want to join us. The group is South Orange County Dive Club. We will be meeting at the Laguna Hills Mall at 6:30pm between Macy's and Kings Fish House. If you need more info, PM me, or give me a buzz.

All the best for a Happy New Year! Hope to dive with you soon.

Thanks for the invite, Jan. Haven't dove with them since August. But between the rain and having to work tomorrow, I'll have to pass.

But it should be fun. With 112ft. visibility, you can probably drop down at Shaw's and see the whiskers on the seal lions at Seal Rocks. Cool.

MaxBottomtime:
Today would be the best day ever to dive Laguna. I just checked out the condition report at Laguna Sea Sports and vis is up to 112 feet!!! :D
http://www.lagunaseasports.com/conditions/conditions.asp
That's funny! Vis from 10 - 112 feet! I guess you just have to keep swimming out into the channel to get that.

Christian

Actually the viz wasn't half bad this morning in Laguna....up to 15' around Deadman's, very little surge, and not too much surf. Snuck in a dive and now it's raining again. Much better conditions than I expected.
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom