Laguna Beach laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it is not correct. The lifeguards say they will not enforce the snorkel/buddy law, but as long as it remains on the books they are free to change their minds.
I have been told by a lifeguard to stay out of the water untily buddy joined me, even though it was 92F that day and I just wanted to cool off while my buddy put more quarters in the meter. On the rare days I dive Laguna Beach I duct tape a snorkel to the back of my tank.

I think there is significant difference between summer time where you have new lifeguards, who have been told the rules (or can read them with the rest of the local beach highlights), and in winter, where in early morning you don't have lifeguard anyway, but those who are around later in the day tend to have some good judgment/more experience about the divers coming in, as well as the overall conditions.

I never had problem with buddies comment (but was not in any conditions to face this), but have been told many time about the snorkel.
First time I didn't have it, and I had to negotiate a bit, promising it wont happen again.
Then now I have a 'portable' one in my suit pocket, just in case.

In all fairness, these guys are here to help, they are told the rules, so no need to make their and our life more complicated than it is.

In a similar subject, it is also told to avoid noise around houses, and I've been shocked to see divers heavily drying their reg at 7am or earlier, talking loud etc, all on week-end mornings.
Not to make the (rich, maybe powerful to influence stronger divers-laws) people in the houses around really divers-friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom