Lady's, anyone have a MIRENA IUD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't have one, but i've inserted about 15 -which doesn't sound like many, until you compare that # to the less than 5 'old-style' iud's i've done.

most patients loved them. localized effects, and of course progesterone only, so none of the weight-gain or bloating or headache or blood clot issues some have with pills. for most, they had some spotting - like needed a panty liner - for a month or so, then basically no periods. however, that's not guaranteed. there are certainly people who had a 'normal' period amount for a long time before settling out, and some folks continue to have fairly normal periods with a mirena.

if you haven't been on a progesterone-only type birth control (like depo provera, 'the shot', or the progesterone-only 'mini-pill'), consider having a round of the shot to see how it affects you. easier to back out at that point if you don't like it. i wouldn't suggest trying the same with the mini-pill (which you take every day like the combination pill), because that is very time sensitive & if you're off by a few hours, you can start bleeding.

mirena is extremely effective, though i have to say i had someone get pregnant on one. :( bless her heart, she worked in the office & is just sooo fertile. but, hey, we all know stories of people who got pregnant after tubals, too! when they say 99% effective, *someone* is that 1%...

if you decide to get one, take 800mg of motrin (if you can use motrin) or 220mg of naprosyn (ditto) to ward off cramps from insertion. that's what most people complain about - not the insertion itself, which is basically like a long pap smear, but some crampiness afterwards.

feel free to pm me if you can think of other questions! :)

also...look at the reason for the progesterone. BC? or managing another problem....when evaluating the risk/ benefit.

I would ask "if my estrogen is declining, how would the increase in progesterone affect me in other areas of my health?" Is Bioidentical Estrogen an option? etc.

For me, the issues would go well beyond the uterine effects.

Thrombo embolitic therapy (?) is sorta a big new thing too....as an option for fibroids and hysterectomies....

I hate Hawaii health care, to be honest. Extremely patronizing and way behind California...You should try and go to somebody good in Chicago. Gynecology in Hawaii...don't get me started.

What would it cost to go to Chicago once a year...you go there anyway.

Sorry...not your question. I think women will have different responses depending on what they have the IUD for, is really what I am muttering about.

I have a friend who has a Mirena, it was inserted almost a year ago. She says she had cramping for one day after insertion. She continues to have normal periods and some cramping with her periods. She is a huge advocate of them and loves it.
Me, I just started the mini pill and I love my new pill. Finally, a BC pill that won't make me psycho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom