Ladies: Modesty during diving or technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK, I was just replying on a thread about how to fasten a crotch strap on a BP/W. It got me to thinking (yeah,... dangerous, I know:D) I know diving isn't a glamorous sport, for sure. I'm not one given to be a prude, but there has to be SOME boundaries, I would think. Since I am beginning to do technical diving, I dive with a lot of guys (I'm the only female doing that right now) & it really doesn't bother me to "be one of the guys",... to a point. Up to this point I have not yet, had too much to worry about, other than occasionally reminding some of the guys I dive with, that they are in mixed company (overall, I'm pretty easy going), when things get waaaay too out of hand:no:. What are some adaptive methods you gals use to "keep things in perspective"? I'm talking about any aspect of diving- dressing, donning equipment, "nature's call", conversing with other divers... pretty much anything dealing with diving. It would be interesting to hear some different takes.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm almost always the only female in the group. I am pretty chill about mostly everything. I can roll with any conversation, I'll fix your crotch strap if need be, or ask you to fix mine, I'll joke with the boys about anything, and pretty much everything else is water off a ducks a$$ as long as I'm enjoying the diving. Modesty is basically a towel and hoping for the best. Natures call...well I dive wet, so I use the same bathroom the fish do :) At first I thought I had something to prove, so I'd get all bent out of shape if someone tried to help me with my tanks or gear, but now I appreciate the consideration, and figure a buddy situation is a partnership, so we just work on the strength of which ever partner is best suited to the job. I don't feel like helping me is making me less than equal anymore, so I actually enjoy it now.

I dive with a fair number of women scientists. There are, as you have observed, a fair number of things in diving that do little to promote modesty or decorum. We tend to carry on exactly as we would if we were all the same sex, but I suspect that we are rather more careful to avoid most any sort of sexual banter or innuendo so that it doesn't spill over and get in the way of the performance of necessary tasks.

This is a great topic, but one that is going to really depend upon those involved.

I've always found myself "one of the guys," often having more male friends than female. So far in my "dive family" it's a good mix of men and women, although I have found times when the shop is full of guys and the mood/tone changes when I walk in. (I'm not a real feminine flower; I'm a fat girl with a trucker's mouth, and no doubt am viewed/treated quite differently than someone who looked like Barbie.)

I've always used this as a great way to get intel. In a group of guys, I don't ever remind them of what kind of company they are in. I want them to be themselves.

That way I can easily tell the assholes from the good human beings.

I work in medicine, so I'm not particularly bashful. I wear a sports bra and a pair of modest panties to dive sites, and I no longer have any modesty issues about changing into my undergarments at the site, although I do try to use the car doors for a little screening when possible. I have learned not to walk up to a buddy who is hunched over with his back to me, or who is leaning over into the interior of his car :)

I may be unusually fortunate, but none of the guys I dive with is given to off-color humor or stories. Maybe they are when I'm not there, but I've never had any issues with anything like that.

For most my life I've found my way into sports where males greatly outweigh the females. Modesty is rarely an issue & usually a simple attempt at modesty goes a long way. While diving, like others said, I often make some attempt at a physical/mental barrier by stepping inside my car or using the side door as a semi-shield to change. If that is not possible, then a quick friendly comment before doing anything surprising makes a big difference; most guys are respectful if you ask. In the tropics where there is sometimes no toilet on the boat I often make a little joke before I hop over the side just to assure the privacy.

If there is an unwanted flirtation, much can be stopped in the very beginning before uncomfortable situations arise.

Even with technical rock climbing when we were pinned together on a vertical cliff for 3-10 days on end having to do all kinds of activities where modesty was a real issue. A little bit of communication on comfort levels goes a long ways to create a gender neutral respectful partnership.

I have no problem stripping down in front of guys to change if I absolutely have to... I've had to do it before and there's not really any problems. Usually everyone is pretty focused on the dive, not what they may or may not see on the shore/boat :p

One thing I've always used and offered is my boat coat as a wardrobe changing tool when modesty or discretion is advised. I usually keep the boat thrown in the trunk of my car at all times.

i pretty much don't have any modesty...last week, i ran up from peacock 1 (she-p failure early in the dive) shouting 'turn your head if you don't want to see a chubby chick take a leak in the woods!'

thank goodness i knew everyone in the parking lot, though it wouldn't have mattered much if i didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom