Labor Law????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a refrence for the labor law covering minimum pay when sent home.
I show up at work, they tell us we cant work today and send us home. They are trying to pay one hour as that was how long we were there but the legal minimun is two hours, is it not? Ive been looking but legal research is not my field. Any help out there?
Thanks in advance.

oh, you're not going to start citing the US labor laws in Culebra are you?

is that state law?

They are US territory, right?

you are just a migrant worker

Maybe ask somebody in Puerto Rico forum?

I doubt the labor laws are as favorable in Puerto Rico as Hawaii...

finding nothing on Google search

you don't do this in Afganistan, do you?

There is, Ive had ths problem in the past. This is a Florida based Co and we are covered under US law. I just need a ref to pass to them.

Doesn't apply to IN. Also if you have a contract it might over ride something else.

Wildcard:
There is, Ive had ths problem in the past. This is a Florida based Co and we are covered under US law. I just need a ref to pass to them.

Nope, sorry. They just have to pay you what you were there for.

If you have a Union contract it could be in there. Some state and even counties force laws. BUT, the US government doesn't. Been in Unions for years.

The US has laws for under 18 but very little for over 18.

Our company policy is four hours... Just depends.

sorry to hijack.

I was taken to the labor board once. (claimed she worked 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week x 8 years, over reached a tad) They said I owed her 80 K in overtime.

My lawyer said "don't tell the judge about the 2, 000 you sent her family in Morelos because it will only increase the amount of her "salary" and up the overtime calculation.

I hired a PI, got a birth certificate from Mexico City and got myself off. (can't be there and here at the same time)

I am a little skittish now, after having the crap scared out of me. lol, If I hear somebody talking about the labor board, .. "note to self". Scary stuff.

Nothing for thing but if you're trying to get an extra hour out of your company ..right or wrong ...then maybe you should find a new job. IMHO I gave up on hourly jobs along time ago for just this type of reason. It really isn't worth my time to chase an extra hour wage?? or at least find a company with more employee friendly policies reguarding comp for shortened work days... Just a thought.

I pay my employees 4 hours for an aborted day. Which is typical in my line of business. The law in Ca. sayes at least 2 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom