Labor Day diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Florida Friends,

This may be a rather gauche question to ask at a time when we're all watching and praying for safety for the Floridians... but because of a time constraint with airline availability, I need to ask now (I did try a search first, but there is so much to read and I really don't have the time to sit here all night tonight researching- so please forgive if you're one of those who gets aggravated about the same questions): We might try to schedule a dive trip to Florida over the Labor Day holiday. We would love to dive with some of you, if possible.

Here's the dilemma: Not sure where to go! We will have to drive 5-6 hours to depart from Austin or Houston, first. Our choices on Southwest airlines are to go to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville and West Palm Beach. From reading here on SB, it seems that there is lots of diving around FL and I know we could always drive to the Keys (which I would be willing to do- love the keys but havent dived there yet).

Remember, I am a newbie- 30 or so dives. I have dived in Cozumel (as far as current) but it wasn't in extremely strong current. I've also dived in river current (was told it was 2 knots, but how am I to know). My husband has about 50 dives. Any opinions would be welcomed, and hopefully asap. We need to book either tonight or very soon.

Foo

I would say either Fort Lauderdale or West Palm. FLL is closer to the Keys by about an hour. Either place gives you a great choice of dives.

I wouldn't worry too much about the current. It "usually" isn't that strong. I have seen it ripping before, but usually only when out on a boat dive, and then it wasn't so bad since you don't have to fight it.

Have a great time.

Joe

Fort Lauderdale without a doubt. The question that you need to answer is. Do you want to do the night life thing or do you want to dive and do family stuff. If you are only wanting to do family stuff and eat breakfast at a nice cafe on the beach and go to the movies I would actually stay on hollywood beach. The knucklehead population is only a fraction of what ft laud beach has and the prices are VERY reasonable.

Here is the real kicker... you can dive right off the beach! I lived on Jackson street in hollywood for a couple years and dove at least twice to three times a week.

Fort lauderdale of course has the nightclubs, and bars. The hotels are a bit more pricey. It depends on what you are looking for when coming to Fl.

The others that live down there can give you better info due to the fact that I moved from there in 1996.

Eric

hey Foo, We will have dives planned (already have a REEF ID dive/class planned) that weekend here in the Ft. Lauderdale area. C'mon down!

There are plenty of us diving around Ft Lauderdale around that weekend. Looking at plenty of shore diving, some with the REEF ID thing, some just getting out and wet, inc night dives, see the REEF ID thread and other associated Labour day threads in the private trips section.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom