LA Reef Check Certification Class Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to do a quick write-up of my Reef Check certification class over the past two weekends! For those who aren't familiar with Reef Check, it's a non-profit organization based out of CA that is dedicated to conserving tropical coral reefs and California's rocky reefs. One of the main reasons I chose Reef Check over other similar groups is that the organization doesn't have a political agenda. It's really just about monitoring the reefs and providing data for other more informed organizations to come up with solutions.

So the way Reef Check is setup, they have a few certification classes throughout the year and once you pass the class (everyone in our class did) you're able to sign up for surveys up and down the coast. Every year after that, you have to do a quick recertification dive to "recalibrate" yourself as a "citizen scientist".

I signed up for the class with my buddy Nicole...and later found out that Quintin and Charles were also in the class. There were about a dozen students total. Our certification class was scheduled over two weekends. The first weekend included classroom sessions, visits to the Long Beach aquarium and a morning pool session. Most of the classroom portion was spent learning to identify fish, invertebrates, algae as well as the data-collecting methodology (laying a transect line, how to count the marine life, etc).

Second weekend was a two-day liveaboard on the Peace (I guess this was another reason I decided to do Reef Check!). In addition to our class, there were a handful of marine biologists on the boat who were Reef Check "instructors" and a few divers from Santa Barbara looking to get their recertification. In a quick nutshell, the dives were conducted in the following manner: the instructors tied down a transect line and did their own invert, algae and UPC count. The students then do their count on the same line and we all convene back on the boat to compare results. First day we did three dives at Cathedral Gardens. At night we stopped at Scorpion Anchorage for a fun night dive...which was followed up with dessert and an hour in the hot tub (gotta love the Peace!!). Next day we headed over to Landing Cove for 3 more dives before coming back to Ventura.

I have to say, it really was a fun experience...more fun than I thought it'd be. We had a great group of students and instructors. Conditions out on the islands were great that weekend. And I certainly did learn a lot about the local marine life and ecosystem. Most surprisingly, I had to become more of an independent diver. I'm GUE trained, so I'm used to team diving – always knowing where my buddy is, always seeing their light and shining them mine. For me, this became an exercise in "semi-solo" diving. Don't get me wrong, Reef Check stresses safety above everything. But while you're trying to count fish and inverts, your buddy's doing the same thing a few feet ahead/behind you, and you get to be pretty task loaded.

This class also gave me a chance to see a different diving crowd. Most of the divers I hang around are DIR and do a bit of tech diving. It was nice to see divers who have a different diving motive. No one was an eco-advocate and I never heard any preaching, but you could definitely tell that for some this was their passion.

I HIGHLY recommend this class! It was a great bargain (learned a lot, got some cool surveying tools (reel, calipers, slate), NAUI cert card, and a two-day liveaboard)...and a great use of two weekends. For those interested in taking the class, I know they have a few more classes scheduled in SoCal in the coming weeks.

Thanks to Ken Liu and Claudette for recommending this class; thanks to Nicole for being the best buddy all weekend long...and thanks to Chris for taking care of the dog while I was gone and making sure the house was clean when I got back!! :)

Great report, Jen! I'm glad you had a great time!!! Congrats to all you passing the class!!!!!

Thanks for the write-up, Jen! I keep meaning to put my thoughts into words, but it just hasn't happened (and now you've done it for me!).

I had a really great time this weekend and learned a lot. I've been wanting to do Reef Check since last year (but my schedule just did not cooperate with any of the training dates) and was really excited when Jen mentioned she wanted to do it as well. In the (almost) two years I've been diving, I managed to learn only a handful of fish names....contrast that with the many nudibranch (scientific) names that I've managed to learn! So I was really excited that I was going to actually force myself to learn some of the fish. Though, I still maintain that the grass rockfish is probably the dumbest name and fish I've ever heard of....I hope I never see one :wink:

Reef Check really pushed my limits in ways that I've never been pushed before. I've worked very hard to be able to maintain trim and buoyancy, donate gas to an OOG diver, shoot bags, do valve drills, etc. But this was different than anything I've done before....I've never tried to survey the life on a reef (hopefully remembering the difference between pterogophyra and southern sea palm....remembering that it's a brown rockfish or a gopher rockfish or insert rockfish name here), had to estimate the height of the reef structure half a meter to my right, or do a semi-solo dive.

The semi-solo diving is something that doesn't sit well with me. I found myself checking on Jen quite often (and I know she was doing the same for me). But at the same time, Chris once told the two of us that it's a good thing to know how you will react to being alone in the water....I think we did fine, but I think we both prefer the social nature of diving.

That said, I am definitely planning on joining for some of the local surveys. If someone can order some nice conditions, I may even check out Malaga Cove on May 22 :D

Congratulations! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Reef Check is a great organization.

Great to see you involved in the Reef Check program. Thanks for the report!

Back
Top Bottom