La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHeid2288

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a dive trip to La Paz in February. I have read that there is a chance of seeing hammerheads there. Can anyone tell me realistically what the chances are? Also, aside from the sea lions, what are the other diving attractions there? What is the water temp in Feb?

Thanks for the help!

I was just in La Paz last week-end. This time of year (and also in February) one of the big attractions is whale sharks. But it's snorkeling ... you can'd dive with them, as they tend to swim faster than a diver can, they're mostly feeding on the surface, and they'd just tend to shy away from bubble-blowers anyway. But for snorkelers it's an amazing experience.

130838252_1723402367840114_3014149111047636383_o.jpg

As for the diving, and your question in general ... hammerheads are typically found in El Bajo, which is a series of seamounts that run fairly deep. There is usually fairly strong current there, and in any case hammerhead sightings are hit-and-miss. You might ... you might not. Can't really provide any probabilities, but when I was there we didn't see any. A couple days later some folks I know did see them.

As for other dives ... some wrecks, in particular the Fang Ming with its resident green turtles. It's a nice, easy dive and interesting as wrecks go. The Suwanne Reef, shallow and completely covered in dense hard corals. Lots of sea life. Occasional manta sightings at a couple of sites whose names I don't recall at the moment.

130867731_1723462074500810_9128375258556866327_o.jpg

130717533_1723462251167459_2976639570071542988_o.jpg

Oh, and of course, the sea lions at Espiritu Santo ... playful and interactive.

122288605_1679165532263798_3301254619598338072_o.jpg

There are plenty of other interesting sites to choose from. Diving in La Paz is pretty good. In February you'll need at least a 5 mm wetsuit. Water temps are already down into the low 70's, and will be closer to mid-60's by then.

If you're on Facebook there's a fellow named Jay Gittens who I like to dive with. Look him up ... he has a page for La Paz Dive Club that can provide you with info. Or contact Jay directly ... he's totally helpful and knowledgeable.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Considering La Paz for Nov or Dec. It seems like the boat rides are fairly long. Most of them seem to be of the variety that includes lunch.
Are there any closer dives - where you can get 2 tanks and be back in La Paz around lunch time?

I'd contact Luke Inman of Cortez Expeditions based in La Paz. He's been there a long time.

I went to La Paz for diving mainly for the sea lions and whale sharks. The sea lions were great - went to two different colonies. The whale shark day was tough though as our boat just cruised up and down for a few hours but finally spotted one juvenile one we got to snorkel with. The rest of the diving I found was okay but not overly spectacular. There was a decent wreck though. But the diving in general is probably better than anything off Cabo.

Back
Top Bottom