La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was thinking that while we are down in Cabo at the end of May, we may want to try to get up to La Paz and do a little diving one of the days we are there. Anyone know if it is feasible, or just too inconvenient to take a day trip up and back to dive? What mode of transportation would be recommended? Would we need to have a room to put our belongings so they won't be stolen? How long does it take to get there? Is there a big enough difference in the diving to bother with it?
Any ideas are welcome :)

I like La Paz scuba a great deal.

It is similar to Los Cabos area diving in terms of the stark, unadorned rock formations & sand bottom at many of the sites. It is different in that there is more marine life, larger schools of fish, and better chances for mantas, hammerheads & even whalesharks, although of course none of these are guaranteed. When El Bajo is alive & reachable, it's a world class site.

It would be a very long stretch to drive up for the day. You'd want to figure on 3 hours each way.

The dive shop would store your belongings, so theft is not a worry. If this question means you're looking to shore dive, there really isn't any.

Save La Paz for its own trip & do the Don Jose or Solmar V liveaboard.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Squarepants,
My dive buddy and myself are going to be in La Paz the Memorial weekend for diving. Checkout the following link for different dive sites in and around the La Paz area. Also it is about a 100 miles drive one way from Cabo to La Paz,so you might want to check out a puddle hopper flight.

www.clubcantamar.com

aquaman514

Squarepants, the Doc is right on here. A day trip for a day boat probably isn't feasible --- not only is the issue of getting there, but a lot of the dive sites (Los Islotes, El Bajo) are pretty far out, so diving there is generally an all day adventure in and of itself.

DocVikingo, aquaman514 and kelpmermaid, thank you for the very helpful info. I think we'll just plan on going back to Baja for a trip to La Paz. Sounds like too much hassle for our little 4-nighter in Cabo.

Back
Top Bottom