La Paz or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boyfriend wants to see the hammers...really bad! we'll be going in the begining mnths of next year, between Jan and April. The wrecks sound awesome. I've been thinking of buying a really nice U/W camera before we go. We did 2 dives in Cozumel last year, and I wasnt very impressed. If La Paz has any good shore dives, I'd like to go there. jc, george, do you remember the hotels you stayed at and what did you think of them? Also, B/F is concerend that if my ear gives me problems, I wont have anything to do while we're in La Paz vs Cozumel.

Stephanie, Jan to March will be your best shot at seeing hammerheads, however, you'll need to be prepared for colder, rougher water and have some patience. Yeah, and you'll need some money because there will be fewer divers and the ride out to the underwater seamount is about a 2.5hr trip.

Coz is nice for the simplicity of drift dives and short boat rides. La Paz has more diversity and is a substantial shift in what you'll see when comparing the Caribbean to the Pacific. For all practical purposes there is no shore diving in La Paz. We actually did some great shore diving off Coz and is still the only time I've seen a Flying Ganard. When I say shore diving, I mean we cruised the shore and never went out more than 40 yds so we didn't get too taken by the ever-present current.

You need to dive both locations because of the differences and you'll appreciate both because each has something somewhat unique to offer.

Cheers!!!

We were in Socorro in April - two hammerheads on 20+ dives.
We were in Cocos in June / July - too many hammerheads to count on every dive.

Stephanie,
I see from your profile that you have less than 50 dives experience. LaPaz I feel requires somewhat more experience. Cozumel being a great and beautiful palce for all divers, especially new divers. LaPaz waters can be cold with strong currents at times. Dives tend to get somewhat deep. I did see hammerheads on my times there, but it did mean going past recreational depth limits and the hammerhead dives are in STRONG current. While the dive operators in LaPaz are good, it is somewhat more self sufficient diving. For trips I would rate LaPaz for experienced divers that are comfortable in less than favorable conditions. Just my two cents

Love both though

NAIBDiver1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom