La Jolla Cove/San Diego Snorkeling in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacYankee86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey All
I might be in the San Diego area over Thanksgiving, and I was wondering what the conditions would be like for snorkeling in the area?
I am assuming I need a wetsuit...or drysuit. I have only a 3/2mm Full...

I don't have the time to lug my dive equip. out there-since it will only be a few days-but I have never been to CA and I would love to do something dive related...

If I am crazy to think of snorkeling in November in CA, tell me. I know I could get a surfing lesson, so it can't be that cold...right?
Thanks for the help!
Gordon

Hi Gordon,
California waters are normally in the low to mid 50s around that time and most of the time, so definitely 7mm if not a drysuit for diving and a 4/3 for surfing unless you get cold easily. I have not been to LaJolla yet, but everything i've read and heard leads to a good day. Check out the "Marine Room" as well for snorkeling!

Hope this helps,

Hi Gordon,

I was in San Diego over the weekend and snorkeled the Marine Room on Saturday. I used to live in the area and frequently scuba/snorkeled there. This past time was one of the best days ever with a good 25-30 feet visibility and all sorts of critters around. The Marine Room is renowned for Leopard Sharks and there were a good 40-50 of them cruising about. Water temp was in the upper 60's which explained the ton of stingrays in the area as well. Since the area is a protected reserve there are lots of different types of fish and it is a great site.

November will definitely be cooler but the clarity is usually better as well. Personally I'm fine snorkeling in a 3/2 especially if it's sunny but you could easily rent a suit from one of the local shops in La Jolla or Pacific Beach.

Hope you have a great time

Alex

Back
Top Bottom