LA County Drains Catalina Dive Park to Save Dr. Bill's House!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catalina Divers Supply lost their warehouse and inventory in the fire. Hopefully John was insured for the loss, but keep that in mind folks. The lost revenue to both dive ops, as well as the shops, hotels and restaurants will be significant. Heck, I may have even lost the sale of a DVD or two!

Other than the "big picture" issues, my only concern now is the impact of all the smoke we've inhaled over the past few days. It was very thick Thursday night as the fires raged on the edge of town. I wonder how it will affect my SAC rate and whether I'll have to relearn my "gas management" skills based on lost lung capacity (brain capacity was lost years ago). Fortunately many of the kids were evacuated off island since smoke inhalation may have been much worse for their young and still developing bodies. My body is ancient and deteriorating.

So nice to look out my office window and not see smoke or flame in the immediate canyon area. Hopefully they'll get the fires in the vicinity of CIMI (Toyon Bay) and White's Landing out soon.

Bill....glad to hear that your home and all the others are OK....my employees started to call me a 2 pm on Thrusday saying we may have to close early...I could not find anything on the news and the web cams looked OK....Then I got a call at 3:30...they were having to close the store...NOW...and possibly evacuate the Island....finally at 4pm started to see the reports....very scary....glad you and everyone else are OK....

drbill:
Catalina Divers Supply lost their warehouse and inventory in the fire. Hopefully John was insured for the loss, but keep that in mind folks. The lost revenue to both dive ops, as well as the shops, hotels and restaurants will be significant. Heck, I may have even lost the sale of a DVD or two!

I hope John is insured....Bill I am offering a 25% discount on all merchandise today and tomorrow for the 2 hours I will be open....come on down and help out the local economy!

Hmmm... is that what they call a "fire sale?"

It really didn't look that bad early on, Scott. I think our first evacuation was about three hours after the fire started as it became apparent that the winds were blowing it up to the ridge above town.

I'm glad to know you are OK. I enjoy reading your post and input to the board. My prayers are with you and all that are going through this crisis.

Good to hear you're ok. You were in my thoughts while we were diving this weekend.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom