LA County Beaches Unhealthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
An L.A. Times article today said the bacterial counts were the highest in five years. :11:

Also, "Los Angeles County coastal waters this summer contained the highest levels of harmful bacteria measured during the last five years, accumulating more failing grades for human health standards than any other swimming beaches in California."

and "Extraordinarily high bacteria counts also surfaced throughout the summer in the near-shore waters next to the Santa Monica and Redondo Beach piers, just off Dockweiler and Will Rogers state beaches, and along the more isolated beaches at Latigo Point and Paradise Cove — despite millions of dollars spent on cleanup."

"It's always a little nasty out here, a bit of funk," Bleumling said Wednesday, emerging from the surf at Malibu, a longboard tucked under his arm. Every time he paddles out, he said, there's some health risk. "It's like going to Mexico. You might get sick, or you might not."

Hey, but don't worry, it's attributed to things like sewer spills, pet waste :11doh: , fertilizer, oil and other pollution washing off lawns and pavement and ultimately into the sea.

"Overall, nearly 20% of beaches in Los Angeles County received grades of D and F, while 57% received A's, 18% received Bs and 5% Cs. By comparison, only 2% of Orange County beaches received Ds and Fs, and 1% of San Diego County beaches. No beaches in Ventura or Santa Barbara counties got failing marks."

"Health officials recommend avoiding ocean waters within 100 yards of a flowing storm drain or stream."

Where can I buy Hazmat diving equipment?

Kevfin:
An L.A. Times article today said the bacterial counts were the highest in five years. :11:

Also, "Los Angeles County coastal waters this summer contained the highest levels of harmful bacteria measured during the last five years, accumulating more failing grades for human health standards than any other swimming beaches in California."

and "Extraordinarily high bacteria counts also surfaced throughout the summer in the near-shore waters next to the Santa Monica and Redondo Beach piers, just off Dockweiler and Will Rogers state beaches, and along the more isolated beaches at Latigo Point and Paradise Cove — despite millions of dollars spent on cleanup."

"It's always a little nasty out here, a bit of funk," Bleumling said Wednesday, emerging from the surf at Malibu, a longboard tucked under his arm. Every time he paddles out, he said, there's some health risk. "It's like going to Mexico. You might get sick, or you might not."

Hey, but don't worry, it's attributed to things like sewer spills, pet waste :11doh: , fertilizer, oil and other pollution washing off lawns and pavement and ultimately into the sea.

"Overall, nearly 20% of beaches in Los Angeles County received grades of D and F, while 57% received A's, 18% received Bs and 5% Cs. By comparison, only 2% of Orange County beaches received Ds and Fs, and 1% of San Diego County beaches. No beaches in Ventura or Santa Barbara counties got failing marks."

"Health officials recommend avoiding ocean waters within 100 yards of a flowing storm drain or stream."

Where can I buy Hazmat diving equipment?

Times Article: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-beach27oct27,0,3509021.story?coll=la-home-headlines

http://www.healthebay.org/brc/grademap.asp?map=3&date=&wet=Y

All of this aside, I'm going out tonight. Just like I went out on Monday night. Just like I went out last Thursday night. I haven't gotten sick or grown a third eye yet.

I'll let you know when I do.

Everyone in SoCal who is reading this: feel free to keep away from our Lobster Diving areas. I am your canary in the coal mine. When I croak, there's somthing to report. I got your back.

---
Ken

Good news for the urchins, and other nutrient-absorbing critters! Yummy!

Mo2vation:
Everyone in SoCal who is reading this: feel free to keep away from our Lobster Diving areas. I am your canary in the coal mine. When I croak, there's somthing to report. I got your back.

---
Ken

Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside that you care so much! :tongue2:

Its just me, bro. I'm a giver.

---
Ken

And this is a surprise? Heck the soil there is contaminated with toxics, the air mainlanders breath is full of pollutants... so why should the beaches be any more pristine? And this is what we (collectively) do to our "nest." Of course we're not immune right here on Catalina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom