Kudos to Captain Slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
11150382_829662060437857_5686787950304297110_n.jpg

Captain Slate's Scuba Adventures won 'Grand Champion' in the annual 'Cream of the Crop', Best of the Keys competition. Great job!!!

11150382_829662060437857_5686787950304297110_n.jpg

Captain Slate's Scuba Adventures won 'Grand Champion' in the annual 'Cream of the Crop', Best of the Keys competition. Great job!!!

I've always felt Spencer was different than all the other operators....He was the best of the bygone days....the Adventure of Seahunt, with the best of what is smart diving today, and with lots of class in the way he deals with people.
He is a living dive legend. He should get more acclaim!

I first heard/learned about Capt Slate from a Divemaster (soon to be instructor), Jim, here on Kwaj. Jim' father and Capt Slate are friends and Jim grew up in the Keys and learned a lot from Capt Slate. Sounds like an interesting individual from Jim's stories....

I called Jim a few minutes ago to tell him of Capt Slates' award and he was excited for Capt Slate...

Congratulations sir from the folks on Kwajalien, Republic of Marshall Islands.

I have no idea, I'm just happy for the man. I was out on his boat today with Coral Restoration. Had a freakin' blast as usual.

Slate's efforts have protected morays from human predation--by-catch or otherwise....the "Do not touch the helpless fish" crowd is all well and good, but their audience is a tiny bunch of fellow "no-touch" divers....whereas Slate has virtually the whole world with his images that emotionally connect the masses.....the real issue, is "Who protects more marine life in Key Largo?"
Can you name ANYONE in the Keys that has done more than Spencer?

I have no idea, I'm just happy for the man. I was out on his boat today with Coral Restoration. Had a freakin' blast as usual.

Did he finally get around to getting the registration current? He must have grown tired of paying fines. lol

Did he finally get around to getting the registration current? He must have grown tired of paying fines. lol
Boated pass there today 3 of his boats still are seized it seems

Boated pass there today 3 of his boats still are seized it seems

yeap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attorney to seek boats' return | KeysNews.com

Dive captain's attorney claims jurisdictional issues | KeysNews.com

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Attorney to seek boats' return

BY JOSH GORE Free Press Staff
jgore@keysnews.com
PLANTATION KEY -- The attorney for well-known Upper Keys dive boat Capt. Spencer Slate says his client will have his day in court.
Federal marshals seized three dive boats Tuesday, March 31, operated by Slate until pending litigation regarding rightful ownership of The Lost Continent, Coral Princess VI and Coral Princess I can be resolved.
"I will be filing a response soon to get the boats back," attorney Eric Griffin said Thursday, April 2.
Last Thursday, Slate told the Free Press there is much more to the story, but declined to address the accusations made against him by Key Largo Leisure Investments, operated by Deborah Yates. He said his attorney advised him against speaking about the matter publicly.
"It's unfortunate that only half the truth is coming out," he said.
Slate said he continues to conduct dive charters with two other boats.
The lawsuit filed last month by Key Largo Leisure Investments alleges that Slate, while an officer of Atlantis Dive Center in Key Largo, used the three boats as collateral in 2005 for a loan to purchase property. A bill of sale remained with the investment company in the event Slate's company defaulted on its loan.
Key Largo Leisure Investments attorney John Annesser claims that Slate later transferred the bill of sale to a new company, Dive Professionals, unbeknownst to his client.
Dive Professionals operates out of the Casa Mar shopping plaza at the Tavernier Creek Bridge.
Annesser said the federal action comes as litigation in state court regarding ownership of the vessels continues to play out.
Griffin said the early morning boat seizure was unexpected and declined to say whether customers were impacted.
Griffin was asked if the four-year statute of limitations on fraud cases would come into play since the original agreement was signed 10 years ago. He declined to speak about possible legal strategy.
Annesser said the statute of limitations begins when the victim realizes, or should have realized, that wrongdoing had occurred. He says that occurred last year.
Slate, who has attained a degree of celebrity status as a Florida Keys dive boat captain, has been featured in many TV shows and videos feeding sharks by hand.
He is also known for diving in a Santa Claus suit for Monroe County marketing campaigns and hosts an annual underwater Easter egg hunt where he hides eggs for customers to find.
jgore@keysnews.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom