Kowaliga Kind of Saturday Afternoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
What a day Saturday was. Rick Murchison and I decided at the very last minute to go up to Kowaliga and jump in.

First we met ChickDiver (always a pleasure) and her mom to exchange some tanks. Then we migrated in Rick's Surburban to the Lake.

Here we are, two old salts, no one knowing which one is the oldest, because Rick won’t admit it, tooling around at the bottom of the lake. Best part is that both of us are anal about our diving and no silt was stirred. As a side thought – we could both probably exceed the standards for DIR but are proud strokes. Don't know how much gas we started out or ended with nor do we care.

We decided to first look for more of the mystery fleet. We found one right off. Almost buried in the muck. Another one mysteriously crushed underneath the bridge rubble. Judging from the way the other wrecks have suffered from divers knowing where they are we are keeping the new ones a secret.

Anyway we went left and went along the designated depth and found four instances of the mystery fleet. Then we came back a little deeper and ran into the small fiber optic cable knowing we were below the designated depth. We turned left and ran into the permanent line running to the main bridge. We went to the left of the span all the way down looking for bottles. I found one that I had forgotten about. How may folks remember the Upper Ten?

We found a very old trolling motor. The kind that the motor was above water and the prop was on a flexible shaft. We used a lift bag to move it to the top of the span. I was hoping that it had a brass prop but it was stainless. We found several nice bottles and Rick found a coke bottle with large writing that said Montgomery Alabama 1942. What a great find. We meandered along not in any particular hurry and made our way back to shallow water.

Gosh it was great, after a stressful week just to lie on the bottom of the lake. Relaxation at its finest, the silt felt smooth and cool against my skin. We worked our way back to the exit point and only then realized that our dive had lasted 103 minutes with a max depth of 39 feet. Water on the surface was 84 and it was 77 at depth.

We were slowly making way to the exit point when a white fish with orange spots checked us out. You know that the fish couldn’t bear not knowing what we were. Our contention is that all fish are curious. It appeared to be a large Koi. I just looked at Rick and he looked at me and we gave the “I dunno” sign. What the hey was a Koi doing in Lake Martin?

We did a great surface interval. Found out that the Kowaliga Marina is a civilized place. They have Vienna sausage, sardines, and individual packs of saltines on the same shelf.

We pigged out.

Then came the second dive. Rick forwent the wetsuit and we went down the left side of the bridge until the end. Forty-nine feet in the lake with only shorties!! Had to actually turn on our lights. Found out later that we dived out a humongous thunderstorm. Then back along the right side of the bridge. We saw lots. Found lots of nice bottles and just relaxed. Did I mention a stressful week?

We made our exit knowing that a top shelf margarita was waiting at Sinclairs. Also, tonight’s special, grouper with Jamaican sauce. Oh yum!!!!

We sat there and pondered – “Life is good”

Sounds like a great set of dives, congrats on the bottles and bottom time :D One of these days I'm going to have to dive Martin. I would have when I was living in Auburn had I been certified at the time - damned my procrastination!

Lying on the bottom in the silt !?!?!?!?

OK, now you two old farts qualify as certified "Mudcats".

Next time I'm over that way I guess I'll just have to bring my old "telephone", give a few cranks and see if I can bring y'all's ugly butts up from the mud.

the K

One of my friend's girlfriend is a research scientist at Aubun. She was doing a study of Channel Catfish in the Tallapoosa River. The best way for her to catch, measure, check for parasites, and tag the fish without harming them was by telephoning so the state gave her a permit.

Well - that really jacked up the good ole boys who were left to catch fish the old fashioned way. She was harrassed and charges were made that she was using so much electricity it was melting the hooks off their trotlines. Ricky(aka Uncle Bersie Hodagg) on the other hand just prefers dynamite and a dip net.

Judge Lem Coley finally had to step in to bring the situation to a truce. She was up near the shoals one day and some guys came up in a hovercraft.

Weird stuff goes on in that lake. Even more mysterious is the origin of the ghost fleet.

Sounds like y'all had a lot more fun than I did on Saturday!! (One Mom, one grandmom, and one great-grandmom... plus furniture moving.....) :)

Best part of Saturday was seeing you. And, of course, the grouper with Jamacian sauce. Yum!!

Seriously - Rick and I had a great time - took all the stress from the week away and just drowned it with the Ghost Fleet.

Hope you have some great dives this weekend - we're doing Vortex - Again!!.

The old Kowaliga bridge rubble is a pretty unique site, with it's own challenges and rewards. It's a "technique" dive; one of those that's mostly what you make of it.
With the low vis and the old pilings like so many pick-up-sticks protruding from under the collapsed roadbed one must be patient, one must sort of glide rather than swim along. Finning is more flicks than kicks. The silty bottom makes good buoyancy control a must. (this is a great skill-building site)
You never know what you'll find - like the "original issue" electric trolling motor Tom found on this last one, or the Koi (!) or another "ghost fleet" boat.
The Kowaliga bridge rubble is the only place I've ever seen the rare fresh water jellyfish, a delicate white lacy thimble-sized hydroid medusa of unique beauty. (Not to be confused with the Pacific salt water jellies that have been trapped in an island pool and adapted to fresh water - these little guys only live in fresh water)
On the second dive of this trip I decided to just hover as quietly as possible beside someone's homemade fishin' spot of old Christmas trees... sure enough after a few seconds three nice pound-and-a-half to two pound bass eased out of the trees to see what I was - bass can't stand not to look at stuff, including you :)
As TT says, a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom