Kowaliga Bridge: BEWARE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I saw this post. A friend and I are planning our first dive at Lake Martin this coming Thursday. Guess we'll avoid the Kowaliga area...

Just curious. How many actually think its a good idea to be diving at a boat ramp? Doesn't sound smart to me when there is a good hour long dive across the lake.

Just curious. How many actually think its a good idea to be diving at a boat ramp? Doesn't sound smart to me when there is a good hour long dive across the lake.

Kev. I understand the safety concerns of diving a boat ramp.

but boat ramps are "treasure troves" of where stuff has been dropped. (sunglasses, fishing rods, and other expensive items.)

I could see the lure of diving there. (but yes there are dangers, especially on high traffic days such as summer weekends).

I'm not sure of a "real safe way" to dive on one. I mean it's not like most boaters will stop for a dive flag. I'm guessing that's why the state made it against the law. For safety and to keep from hindering boat launches. (boaters are big economic impacts for the state).

Same thing for Marinas. But I think those are just as dangerous as it's a LOT of overhead environment, lots of fecal discharge (yes I know it's against the law to discharge, but people still do it), and MAJOR ELECTRICAL SHOCK hazards.

there were two boys electrocuted swimming in a Marina in Tennessee over 4th of july week. One died and they saved the other.

Marinas are very dangerous. you can swim into an electrical current from poor wiring in the marina or boat, or a power cord dropped in the water and die pretty easily.

You clearly did not read the OP since I clearly was NOT diving at the boat ramp; I ended up at the boat ramp after one of the least well informed law enforcement officers (Game Warden) decided it would be a good idea to pull my flag out of the water and drive off with it....to the boat ramp; not until I went to the boat ramp to retrieve the flag was I within 50 feet of the public access area...before you make judgements about being smart, read the post, that would be smart.

LOL. Whatever. You can't legally enter over on that side so I stick by what I said.
You clearly did not read the OP since I clearly was NOT diving at the boat ramp; I ended up at the boat ramp after one Iof the least well informed law enforcement officers (Game Warden) decided it would be a good idea to pull my flag out of the water and drive off with it....to the boat ramp; not until I went to the boat ramp to retrieve the flag was I within 50 feet of the public access area...before you make judgements about being smart, read the post, that would be smart.

I clearly was NOT diving at the boat ramp; I ended up at the boat ramp after one of the least well informed law enforcement officers (Game Warden) decided it would be a good idea to pull my flag out of the water and drive off with it....to the boat ramp; not until I went to the boat ramp to retrieve the flag was I within 50 feet of the public access area...

I had forgotten that also.

I'm just curious if you brought this up in court to the judge and what did he say? (I'm guessing he didn't say much since he found you guilty and $50 fine. )

He actually commented that he "had to give 'em one" right after he commented about "lots of fish & game tickets now that they got a new sheriff in town"...in reference to the LEO (Game Warden) that ticketted me...its all good though; I technically was at the boat ramp at the end of it all regardless of how or why I got there...there was no denying that.

He actually commented that he "had to give 'em one" right after he commented about "lots of fish & game tickets now that they got a new sheriff in town"...in reference to the LEO (Game Warden) that ticketted me...its all good though; I technically was at the boat ramp at the end of it all regardless of how or why I got there...there was no denying that.

ahhh....

yep. I had the same experience. (as noted in post #18). as long as you are willing to take guilty on one, they are happy with that.

I know this thread is getting pretty old, but I have a question. Is the situation up there the same now as it was then. Are people (Including LEOs) still grabbing dive flags. Are B.S. tickets still being written for erroneous things? I would like to dive there but there are other places I can go that do not have problems like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom