Kowaliga Bridge: BEWARE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I got two tickets from Alabama's finest Law Enforcement for diving within 50 feet of the the boat ramp and diving with no flag yesterday after the Fish & Game officers pulled my flag up off the bottom and drove with it over to the public access boat ramp on the NWest end of Kowaliga Bridge. After swimming over to retrieve my flag I got two tickets and threatened to get a third one for entering the water on the "private beach" for law enforcement personnel only to the right of the boat ramp (well clear of the 50 foot exclusion zone).

SO I guess if you are diving anywhere in Lake Martin...Which I DO NOT Recommend anyone bother with after yesterday's interaction with two of the most ignorant and inconsiderate officers I have dealt with. The visibility was pretty bad, less than 10 feet for the majority of the dive, and the thermocline at 25 feet kept the 50-something degree water contained and murky as ever.

The part I do not understand is why they expected me to surface from 50 feet of water, when they grabbed my dive flag from their boat with an outboard motor running (even at idle this is dangerous); the officer's explanation was that they "were trying to get my attention so that I would surface and they could warn me about the heavy boat traffic this weekend."

I will NEVER waste my time & money diving in Lake Martin (especially since I am only 90 minutes from Panama City & Destin, FL, where boaters and especially Law Enforcement personnel understand diving and would not think of driving their boat up to a dive flag, and pull it to the boat ramp where they then ticket the diver for diving too close to the public access...ELMORE County Fish & Game might need some training on their dive/diver etiquette.

Well now that doesnt seem quite right to me as a LEO myself, I think you should file a complaint with their department. Sometimes you have to report things like that to make their bosses aware. The other thing is to take it to court and bring any thing you can find that explains how unsafe it is to surface when a motor is running. Just remember the judge may not be a diver so you have to think in laymans terms when you explain this.

Cheers
Michael

I would write a letter to their direct supervisor with a copy to the head of the department, and a copy to the governor. Make sure you note that each person is getting a copy. Give the date, time, and location of the incident.

I wouldn't focus on the private beach or boat ramp issues, there's no winning for you on those matters (Your word vs. Law Enforcement). Give an objective description of the incident (if you can). Be respectful. You should focus on the dive-flag-dragging, and give a detailed description about why dragging a dive flag is as dangerous as shooting a gun up into the air (really, it's more dangerous, think of a better analogy), and be specific about how and why this could cause an AGE or DCI injury to the diver.

Wrap it up about the state facing liability because it's officers are either not properly trained, or are ignoring any training that may exist. Don't be emotional. Write it like a book report, not a complaint. Don't make personal comments about the officers, or be sarcastic.

As a former law enforcement officer, I can tell you that more often than not, a "citizen" makes a crappy contact crappier because of their attitude.... But, I also know that about 10% of law enforcement officers are dyed-in-the-wool jerks, who shouldn't be allowed to carry a badge or a gun. I will always take an officers side until proven wrong. and most supervisors and politicians should do the same, but in this incident, it doesn't matter because the cops did something stupid that could have injured or killed someone (you), and they should be corrected. Make this about correcting their dangerous actions. That is a battle you can win.

most of the AL Marine Police I've dealt with are complete ego assholes.

I'd definitely file a complaint for them endangering you by pulling up your dive flag.

I also know of no law that says you can't dive within XX feet of a boat ramp on the book in Alabama.

Good points and advice HETLAND..

mike_s : C'mon man? How many AL Marine Police have you really interacted with? Your comment really serves no purpose other than to generalize and stereotype. Clearly, if the facts are stated, those guys need an "education".....

If you're 90 min from the gulf, why on earth did you head north to dive?

90 min north of the gulf puts you even closer to the nearest freshwater springs :)

You are all correct; the day actually started with a refreshing dive in Morrison's Springs, I guess I should have stayed there and stayed out of trouble. I would not drive North to Kowaligia if it were not for the in-laws living in Alex city and needing to be visited; lesson learned for me!

You are all correct; the day actually started with a refreshing dive in Morrison's Springs, I guess I should have stayed there and stayed out of trouble. I would not drive North to Kowaligia if it were not for the in-laws living in Alex city and needing to be visited; lesson learned for me!

In-Laws! That explains your logic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom