Kona reef diving worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just booked a short Easter getaway for 3 nights in Kona. My last time in Kona/Hilo was 17 years ago.
I plan to do the manta night dive with either big island divers or Jack's, but I am not sure if the regular reef dives and "pelagic magic" are worth it?

I've done mostly Cozumel and Cenotes during the pandemic and wouldn't mind squeezing in some different dives for a change. I do have Red Sea (BDE), French Polynesia (Fakarava) and Cocos already lined up for May, July and December, so I am not desperate for some mediocre dives especially considering my short time there and the high prices?

Appreciate your advice!

Odd thing about Hawaii for me, I’ve often felt meh about much of the diving there when I was doing it, yet I remember more individual dives there (between Big Island and Maui) than probably anywhere else and feel I should have appreciated it more at the time. I think its the lack of color that makes me feel that way, I guess I like coral backdrops. But the volcanic scenery is different, and there are lots of colorful and unique fish and critters for fish geeks. Aside from the mantas there’s decent chances of big stuff, at least at the right times and places.

Odd thing about Hawaii for me, I’ve often felt meh about much of the diving there when I was doing it, yet I remember more individual dives there (between Big Island and Maui) than probably anywhere else and feel I should have appreciated it more at the time. I think its the lack of color that makes me feel that way, I guess I like coral backdrops. But the volcanic scenery is different, and there are lots of colorful and unique fish and critters for fish geeks. Aside from the mantas there’s decent chances of big stuff, at least at the right times and places.
I am a fan of corals, too. Thanks for reminding me - I forgot about about the volcanos... I assume there are volcanic ashes and maybe lava tubes underwater? Maybe I will try 1-2 tank local dives.

I second Damselfish's comments, I was there two months ago and the reefs are healthy and the sea life was varied and plentiful. If you like getting in close to look at small stuff hanging out in the corals you can, and in the same dive see produce like mantas and sharks. I don't remember sites containing the impressive coral pinnacles of Cozumel but the lava formations make for some interesting coral landscapes.

The way i see it time underwater is always worthwhile. It's never predictable. You always have the chance of seeing something that will be epic. I can pretty much guarantee it will be more memorable than sitting on the couch in your hotel room.

You can do very good beach dives there and avoid the high prices.

I am a fan of corals, too. Thanks for reminding me - I forgot about about the volcanos... I assume there are volcanic ashes and maybe lava tubes underwater? Maybe I will try 1-2 tank local dives.
I know we dove a lava tube spot while on the Aggressor (no longer an option), but IIRC that was further south than the dayboats go. Don’t recall doing any from dayboats but maybe there’s places.

The way i see it time underwater is always worthwhile. It's never predictable. You always have the chance of seeing something that will be epic.

Easter might be on the late side for whales. But we did luck into an UW humpback visit on one trip, that qualified as epic. As was the far too cozy experience with the oceanic whitetip that followed.

Mile Marker 4 just south of town in Kailua-Kona has lava tube beach diving. The last couple of times I went to Hawaii was on the cheap. We rented tanks/weights and made shore dives.

The pelagic dive with Jacks was unique and well briefed and well run. Though you are just hanging out under the boat and not seeing colorful fish, the little creatures are amazing and different from any other fauna we see diving.

My advice with regard to daytime diving is to thoroughly discuss with dive ops what to expect, because the two-tank dive I did out of Kona was disappointing. The entry in my log book reads, "Not much to see." Maybe we didn't go far enough away from Kona, I don't know. YMMV

Agree with @Damselfish Great experience in Kauai with whale underwater when the whales were supposed to be gone for the season. Different volcanic scenery in Kona, but saw group of ~100 spinner dolphins, in which 5 broke off from the pack and came right to me!!

Waikoloa and Puako are north of Kona and offers something even a little different than Kona - lots of different small creatures octopus size and smaller.

Three days isn’t a lot of time to enjoy all that there is. I did the manta thing as a snorkel with Jack’s. Mantas come up and brush against you as opposed to kneeling on bottom for 45 minutes on the dive and them coming down to you. Easy to get a morning 2 tank boat dive in and then do the manta or pelagic dive same day. I will add that I tended to see something different diving in Puako each day I dove whereas in Kona, the scenery was pretty much the same (larger critters though) - but I enjoyed both.

Back
Top Bottom