Kona Manta Report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going to back to Kona at the end of August, and was wondering if anyone could give a report on the mantas? I know that sometimes they can be hit or miss (they are wild animals, after all). Also, I know that there are alot of operators that do the manta dives and was trying to get everyones opinion on the best manta dive operation. Thanks.

OR HOW A NOOB’S DAY OF MANY FIRST’S ALL WENT WELL

I’m including the 1st dive since it’s the package for Jack’s and a bit of the first 2 dives as a general Kona dive report as well for those who are interested on what it can be like. I’m also just hitting some of the details, skipping the common like actual briefing etc.

I know the actual Manta aspect is not guaranteed and the Manta Dive is more expensive, so as a local it’s always risky (so to speak) for me too. I’ve been on standby several times and not made it onto the dive roster. On Thursday Fri, Sat and Sun were all fully booked but no other STBY yet on Sunday. Sunday morning with a bit calmer water and no expectation I’d get on the night dive I went to Pu’uhonua a Honaunau. Water was a little surgy with a bit of current; I couldn’t just hang and look at stuff so my air time suffered.
But among the usual critters, found a Yellowhead Moray and huge Tritons Trumpet that really motored. My mask was flooding and having to clear it to see at all, it was gone into the coral. How a snail (for crying out loud) that big and rigid could disappear was just amazing. I have several poor photos in my gallery, a good camera is on my lust list. The spinners showed up for dive #2.
Usually some local thing going on there (a local highschool graduation party this time) so kids jumping in and had to wait quite a while as 4 other divers worked out how to exit in front of me. That’s normal too; maybe it’s just too easy. Kids just being kids and playing in the ocean rather than hanging around malls; I suppose it annoyed the divers. But heck, it’s really theirs, a place of great spiritual history for Hawaiians, I’m thankful they share it with me. The visitors finally struggled up and eventually cleared the steps. I used the surge and made my way through the haole packed lava in less than a minute back to my car. Way too many people there for me now so broke down and the guy parked behind showed up as I got into my car and took my space. Light rain on the way home made it nice and cool after the heat and sun at the shore. Just a nice morning spent out in the ocean I was thinking and remembered I should check in with Jack’s.

Jacks stay pretty booked up but much to my surprise, if I was willing to be with #2 Group I was on the Sunday night Manta Dive. This would be my first 4 dive day.
At Jack’s I debated renting a better light but decided to get the one Erin used, so far all her other recommendations were right on. DM Keller introduced himself and DM Eli remembered me from a 1 tank dive several weeks ago, both asked if I needed anything.
Out at the harbor Captain Danny asked if I wanted to set up my gear or let him do it. I was willing to let him wait on me and just watch. I boat dive far more than I planned to. I don’t know if it is the crew or the sites but it is addictive.
We were asked if anyone wanted to change group assignment and/or wanted to buddy or stick with the DM. Being a single I usually go with the DM. So 4 ½ hours out of the water from 2nd dive, back in for 3rd late afternoon first time at Eel Garden, boat dive #1. Pretty rough on the surface, been surgy and rough for weeks.
I try to get in first and hang out at the buoy line to get real calm before descending. I just keep a palm near the rope to hook if I drift off. Someone came to the line full on with that semi-desperate expression and outstretched hand I remember having my first couple of boat dives. So I backed away, they latched on and jerked around until we went down.
The vis wasn’t great, I should have asked those that know better but my guestimate was 45 – 50’ with lot of particulate. It’s usually a lot better. Computer shows max of 64’ (81 temp), and 40 min @ approx 30’ (82 temp).
#2 Group appeared somewhat low experienced from comments and actions but I didn’t see any coddling or need to. Eli said I could poke around on my own, just the way I like it. Since the rest of the group were kicking up silt I just hung back out of their reach on one side or the other. So I was trailing when they slowed way down, it looked like a sneak up on maneuver but the group silted a big cloud. Another first; seeing some of what I’m assuming the tech people complain about us noobs doing. Sure looked like a bad thing in any contained environment. Trying to get around the clouds, guessing we were at the eels I frogged my way to a clearing but when I got to clear water all I could see was a lot of holes and thought oh well, that’s what I get for hanging back. They turned around and when that silt cleared, lo and behold, there was an entire garden of eels rising up from the floor as far as I could see. Just as previously reported, very erie and really cool to see.
Eli was finding stuff and by keeping an eye on him, he’d let me know when I’d want to come look too. The biggest Tiger Cowrey I’ve seen but it seemed only Eli and I were impressed. He also found a tinsy nudi I could hardly see that neither of us could figure out what it was.
I found a lot of stuff too, some new for me: Black-Lipped Pearl Oyster, Paradoxical Sea Cucumber, Undulated Moray, Bicolor Anthias and a nudi I hope my photo attempt will help me to identify (gonna have to be a lucky photo.) Some just knowing what I was seeing this time: initial Bullethead Parrotfish, initial Psychedelic Wrasse, juvenile HI Cleaner Wrasse, Yellowstripe Coris initial and begin juvenile to initial. I really need to get a signaling source; none of my attempts have been heard so these remained my solo joy.
Keller was DM for group #1 and videoing. I’d like to see it, if he had as much cool stuff as I found it would be worth the price. I would have been sad if the Manta’s were no show’s but being a critter lover, this dive alone made the trip for me, my best boat dive yet - and the best was still to come.
Being chilly when coming out from the afternoon dive the hot shower was very nice. I had something warm to put on but one lady had a fleece jacket and I regretted I never think to get one out any more, being wet that would have been better.
The only other boat at the 4 moorings was the Kona Aggressor, I like no crowds. Watching the sun go down we ate our sandwiches and the crew told stories until a very long green flash signaled it was time for us to head back down too.

Dive #4 hoping for Manta Ray’s was my first night dive. A good sign, three were spotted at the surface as group #1 prepared to enter.
The briefing included why not to touch, how to not blind each other and we could use snorkels. I kept remembering the recent post here begging people not to use snorkels and her remarks about those that did. I like my snorkel, especially as it was rough at the surface so I practiced how to remove it. Danny saw me and suggested I could try just keeping it horizontal.
Expecting to be colder by dive #4 I’d brought my 3 ml shorty to wear under my 3ml full hyperstreach. Eli and I both thought 2# more would be enough and he changed my weights. I was feeling a bit guilty, but I’m a baby about a snorkel and in I went with it.
Weight check was good so I headed for the line to wait. Water even rougher now and people seemed a bit uncomfortable on the surface, we headed down sooner than before.
I was okay at 35’ with 2 additional pounds and even bumped a bit on the inflator. My Pelican Saberlight seemed fine as we made our way to crate of lights the set out at the end of dive #2 to attract the plankton. Temp 80 surface and bottom.
I have been lucky enough to be near many wild creatures outside of zoos, often and in particular the bigger ones, not without a bit of fear. From what I’ve read and heard about the Manta’s, I fully expected to flinch should one happen to come any where near me despite knowing not to. All those photos were of divers used to seeing them, they were just too big to not incite apprehension.
The first Manta I saw flying by was a juvenile and instinctively put my hand to my mouth as my jaw dropped in spell-bound awe and amazement, probably a good thing as my regulator would almost certainly fallen out.
Reaching the circle of light I was just briefly able to rest on the bottom and bouncing bad with the surge, reminded me of entering a theater late. With the well lit show in full swing with Mantas flying over from all directions and an eel rising from the light box; it was difficult to attend to the I be divin’ aspect. Definitely didn’t want to ram one, I could see the pink patches clearly as they soared over my head, I went prone to hold on to a rock and they just flew over lower.
Not for one instant did I feel fear and it was much later I even remembered I was sure I would. The only apprehension was that I’d scuff off their slime coat as endlessly they passed overhead. Making sure my new little Ikelite PCm light was just above my head seemed to work, none rubbed me. Keller thought I was scared of my mask coming off with elbows nestling the rock, one hand keeping my snorkel horizontal and light level with the top of my head in the other. But I was quite comfy and actually my hands made sort of blinders as the folks near me followed the mantas with their brilliant lights and…well, the DM’s were right, it is unpleasant. I have to admit though, seeing all the lights shining at me reminded me to pay attention that mine shown upward.
I understand the urge to touch, just like the Jellystone Bison seem like friendly, very large dogs, but no problem resisting. It was plenty to just be in their presence. When asked back on board, “How was it?” my answer was, “A whole lot better than everyone has said it is.”
Next time, oh yes, there will definitely be a next time, I’ll add 2 more pounds - first time I wanted to be like a rock with the bottom.

We did the manta ray night dives with www.konahonudivers.com on July 8th and 9th 2005.

On the 8th there were three mantas.
On the 9th there were four mantas.

The dive op. provided dive lights.

PM me if you have questions about specifics.

DD

Thanks DD, I will get back to you.

Red Rover: Great post-"haole paked lava" is a good one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom