Kona in March - Water temps? Whales etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

72-76 is pretty much right on. It does vary year to year based on currents and how much rain we've gotten. Weird thermocline deep this year (tech depth) and no idea how that will affect things.

I'd say to check back in 1-2 weeks before your trip and ask what the water temps been like in late Feb.

HI DiveMaven, We never heard of the Lavacore shirts before. I like the idea for sure. I may even go that route over the 4/5 suit - for me. I really don't get cold all that easy. I wore my 3ml shorty down to 76 - it was cool, but i wasn't shivering or wanting to get out of the water. Might be a good addition without the added buoyancy (for me anyways) under my 3/2 full. My wife gets cold all the time - we will cover her with what ever it takes - like a 4/5 plus the Lavacore.

thanks for the tip and the temp range!

DiveMaven gave you some good advice with the Lavacore shirts and the long sleeve reminder for the SI. We too, are planning a week in Kona beginning of March, and January in Maui was a reminder of how chilly Hawaii even can feel on a safety interval. I live where it's commonly -30s and colder, but it is no fun to be cold, so remember your fleece pullover or boat coat!

We saw lots of whale tails and breaches from the dive boats in Maui a week or two ago, so we are not going to worry about booking a specific whale watch tour. There's always great surprises of things to see from the dive boat. What are some of the readers favorite Kona sites to dive? (Other than the Kona Manta Dive, which of course, we will be doing again!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom