Kona Humpback today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always nice to hear they are back in town again :)

btw - Good to have you here representing Jack's Diving Locker on Scubaboard(I assume by the name)

Aloha, Tim

Do they ever come around Oahu or is it just the big island?

Humpbacks visit all the Main Hawaiian Islands. According to studies I've read; most arrive either Big Island or Maui, Maui County seems to be their favorite hang out, when it gets crowded in Maui waters the other Islands start seeing more of them.

Maui Nui (Maui County) is like a crib for the calves, with nearby Penguin Bank a possible vacation feeding ground for adults. One study theorized that the active volcano on the Big Island (Kilauea) may be a magnetic beacon for the whales to find their way from Alaska, and then they hang a left for Maui.

Yesterday a whale came close to Wailea Beach. I noticed a Coast Guard inflatable patrolling and then saw a lifeguard wave-runner towing a stand up board. Someone may have gone too close and had it confiscated (it was a blue foam rental kind).

whoa

already?

can't wait to get home then

Thats one of my favorite things about coming to Hawaii in the winter. There's nothing more amazing than feeling whale song vibrate through your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom