Kona Diving and Night Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Hawaii divers and those who have dived Kona recently-

We'll be in Kona from May 6th - 17th. We've never dived Kona before and are looking forward to our trip. We're especially looking forward to the Manta night dives and want to do it at least a few times.

I have a couple of last minute questions. I spoke to the dive shop a couple of weeks ago and they were telling me the bottom temp was around 73 degrees. Since then I've checked NODC latest readings and they're showing 79 degrees which I know is probably surface temp.

What type of bottom temps are you getting around Kona right now? I was told to bring my 5 mm but I'm wondering if it's warmed up enough to bring my 3/2 mm?

Also, has the vis been good?

Finally, I was wondering if anyone knows of or could recommend a good spot to kick back and listen to live blues or jazz and have a cold one at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've been diving Kona for many years. All you need is a 3 mil suit. You would have to go pretty deep to see a 6 degree change between surface and bottom temp in May.

The manta ray dive is a very good bet :). Also check out 2-step, Ke'ei, Puako, Mahukona, and Honokohau. Have a great trip:cool2:.
Safe Diving
AJS

Last edited:
Thanks AJS!

I'm leaning towards maybe bringing both but it would be nice to leave the 5mm at home.

Have you done any shore diving there?

My wife dives a 5/3, and needs to add a hooded vest sometimes. The usual thing, depends on your cold tolerance. I am fine with a 3mm.

Can't say about nightlife, but Kailua-Kona ain't Waikiki, much sleepier town. A few spots along Alii might have music, ping member Friscuba here for that, he lives there. He can fill you in on shore diving as well.

It's either been running warmer out at the buoys (which by the way are nowhere near the island, so the temps really aren't an accurate guide anyway) or their calibration is off. We got down to around 71/72 this winter, coldest winter in years. It's been warming the last few weeks, we even had 75 on the manta dive 2 nights ago...25 mantas, it's really hopping right now.

Everybody's got different cold tolerance, and size matters for sure when it comes to cold. Bigger guys require less suit. The less you dive the less suit you'll require. Height, weight and the number of dives you intend to do will go a long ways towards a good idea of which suit you'll need. I'm over 6' and my BMI is sitting at 29, and I took off the 3 mil shorty I wear under my 4/3 for a dive last week (74 at the time) and I won't be doing it again 'til it bumps up another degree or two.... but I dive a lot.

If you are slender, bring the 5 and forget the 3/2 for now, carrying a bit of extra on your frame you might be OK with the 3/2 but you'll be mad at yourself if you bring only it and need more.

Except for a few sites that have some cool fresh water on top, there is no thermocline in Kona and the temps will be within a degree throughout the dive. Viz can vary on a daily basis... but a really really sucky day might be below 60', expect better most of the time. We've had some days recently in the 135+ range.

Kona Brewpub has good beer, music on occasion. My wife and I like happy hour down at Don's Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Kona, they sometimes have music which will likely be more Hawaiian style. Not sure if Bongo Ben's downtown has a band full time, but I think they have one on occasion.

It's either been running warmer out at the buoys (which by the way are nowhere near the island, so the temps really aren't an accurate guide anyway) or their calibration is off. We got down to around 71/72 this winter, coldest winter in years. It's been warming the last few weeks, we even had 75 on the manta dive 2 nights ago...25 mantas, it's really hopping right now.

Everybody's got different cold tolerance, and size matters for sure when it comes to cold. Bigger guys require less suit. The less you dive the less suit you'll require. Height, weight and the number of dives you intend to do will go a long ways towards a good idea of which suit you'll need. I'm over 6' and my BMI is sitting at 29, and I took off the 3 mil shorty I wear under my 4/3 for a dive last week (74 at the time) and I won't be doing it again 'til it bumps up another degree or two.... but I dive a lot.

If you are slender, bring the 5 and forget the 3/2 for now, carrying a bit of extra on your frame you might be OK with the 3/2 but you'll be mad at yourself if you bring only it and need more.

Except for a few sites that have some cool fresh water on top, there is no thermocline in Kona and the temps will be within a degree throughout the dive. Viz can vary on a daily basis... but a really really sucky day might be below 60', expect better most of the time. We've had some days recently in the 135+ range.

Kona Brewpub has good beer, music on occasion. My wife and I like happy hour down at Don's Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Kona, they sometimes have music which will likely be more Hawaiian style. Not sure if Bongo Ben's downtown has a band full time, but I think they have one on occasion.
Friscuba -

Thanks! Good info!

Around 76+ degrees I can use a 3/2, I'm 5' 10" 200lbs - not slender but not a lot of insulation either - I think I'll bring the 5mm.

My wife gets cold easy though but she's bringing her 8/6/5 mm, I' trying to convince her though that her Pinnacle 5mm Merino lined would be sufficient.

Can you tell me anything about not to miss shore diving? I'm thinking we might like to do that one or two days. We will have another couple with us that are new and one of them had ACL repair in January so we would need easier entry/exit.

Also, what's the best bet for shark dives?

Thanks again for the info!

Place of Refuge is your best bet for a shore dive and easy entry. Mile 4 on Alii drive is pretty easy on a calm day. Wherever you rent tanks should be able to diagram the dives for you.

Not a lot of shark action here, were geologically young so were not loaded with apex predators. The occasional reef shark can be seen about anywhere, but it's uncommon. We do have a couple holes in the suck 'em up and Pawai bay areas that occasionally have resting reef sharks. Later in the summer after the fish bite's been on for a while there a small to fair shot at seeing a tiger shark outside the harbor if you dive enough times.

The water was 78 degrees on the manta dive last night in Kona. The water is a couple degrees cooler up here on the Kohala coast but warming every day! 18 mantas last night. It's been manta-riffic the last week or so.

I'm a guy who stays warm easily and I wear a 3mm with a wool lining and a thick hood and if I'm not moving around much I usually get cold on a second dive. I've been thinking of upgrading to a thicker wetsuit (or just wearing my drysuit) for multiple dives that don't put me in the sun on the SI.

I'm sorry to say that the light and variable winds we've had lately has made it pretty voggy. Sucks if you're here on the Big Island to work on your savage tan. It makes for calm seas for diving to be sure.

+1 for the kona brewpub. Also Don's at the Royal Kona. If I'm in Kona I like hang out at the uber touristy Huggo's On the Rocks to watch the sunset (which won't be anything but a big red orb with all this vog). Lulu's is a nice spot if you get there before dark... before the thumping music and yoots show up. If you walk the whole length of Alii after dark you'll be able to tell which places you want to hang out in. If you're way way up north in Hawi, Luke's Place has music nightly including blues etc... but that's over an hour north of Kona and not at all helpful to you.

For shore diving if you feel like driving check out Puako 45 mins north of Kona. Paniau (called Puako End sometimes) and Puako Church are nice. Paniau has multiple put ins and lots of structure to explore. The entry/exit depends on the day. If it's rough at all it is no fun. Check out the Jupiter Foundation's Webcam for current puako conditions.

Mahukona also up north of Kona is an easy entry from a ladder. Good stuff to look at and shallow.

Shorediving.com has a pretty good listing of Big Island spots.

Good luck!

-Eric

The water was 78 degrees on the manta dive last night in Kona. The water is a couple degrees cooler up here on the Kohala coast but warming every day! 18 mantas last night. It's been manta-riffic the last week or so.

I'm a guy who stays warm easily and I wear a 3mm with a wool lining and a thick hood and if I'm not moving around much I usually get cold on a second dive. I've been thinking of upgrading to a thicker wetsuit (or just wearing my drysuit) for multiple dives that don't put me in the sun on the SI.

I'm sorry to say that the light and variable winds we've had lately has made it pretty voggy. Sucks if you're here on the Big Island to work on your savage tan. It makes for calm seas for diving to be sure.

+1 for the kona brewpub. Also Don's at the Royal Kona. If I'm in Kona I like hang out at the uber touristy Huggo's On the Rocks to watch the sunset (which won't be anything but a big red orb with all this vog). Lulu's is a nice spot if you get there before dark... before the thumping music and yoots show up. If you walk the whole length of Alii after dark you'll be able to tell which places you want to hang out in. If you're way way up north in Hawi, Luke's Place has music nightly including blues etc... but that's over an hour north of Kona and not at all helpful to you.

For shore diving if you feel like driving check out Puako 45 mins north of Kona. Paniau (called Puako End sometimes) and Puako Church are nice. Paniau has multiple put ins and lots of structure to explore. The entry/exit depends on the day. If it's rough at all it is no fun. Check out the Jupiter Foundation's Webcam for current puako conditions.

Mahukona also up north of Kona is an easy entry from a ladder. Good stuff to look at and shallow.

Shorediving.com has a pretty good listing of Big Island spots.

Good luck!

-Eric
Thanks Sockmonk3y!

We're actually staying up at Hali'i Kai so Luke's Place sounds great!

I think I'll bring the 3/2 and the 5mm - I've heard 74 degrees which calls for the 5 and I've heard 78 degrees which is great for the 3/2 - I'm guessing there's some flex right now with current moving in?

Thanks again for the info........I'll check out the shor diving link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom