Kona Diving and Night Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been an extra cold winter with temps 71-73. It's warming up now...but I doubt you'll find 78 on a regular basis. I'd certainly dive in a 5mm, especially if you are able to do long dives. Have fun!

My husband and I will be doing an upcoming Manta Night Dive in Kona. They suggested a 3 ml suit, but stated it would be advisable to have a full suit instead of shortie because you'll be kneeling. Or wearing knee pads. I don't know if knee pads are a good idea or not, but I intended to bring my shortie and now I am rethinking it.

A full suit or knee pads are nearly a must on the night dive even if the water is warm. One of the goals is to keep the divers ON the bottom, and those without knee protection tend to end up being a bit more "up" in the water column, which can potentially interfere with the mantas, and in the event of any surge makes a diver much more prone to getting pushed all over the place by the surge... it's not really fun kneeling and having another diver's tank clobber you because they refuse to kneel.

Keep in mind, kneeling in water for 45 minutes feels a bunch colder than moving around in water. You'll definitely want the full suit, and if you are petite you'll likely want both suits so you can layer.

Back
Top Bottom