Kona Dive Report/ Dive Makai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I just got back from Kona, doing 11 dives, combining shore and boat.

Day 1: Two shore dives, one was at Two Step (Place of Refuge) and the other was at Ke'ei. Two step is a great first dive as entrance and exit are very easy, but get their early. We were in water at 8am, and when we surfaced an hour later, there was a line of snorklers getting in. Ke'ei was desolate and no one was around.

Day 2: We got on board with Dive Makai. Trish was captain and Heather guided us. Both did a great job. Not the most fancy or newest boat, but well taken care of. We dove the golden arches and two arches. Later that night, we did an evening dive at Eel Garden, followed by the Manta dive. Five came in that night, including a 15'. Amazing dive. After watching them for about 30 mins, we were taken a tour of the area at night.

Day 3: Dive Makai and dove Dolphin Bay and Suck 'em up. Dolphin Bay has a resident Great Barracuda, about 5'. HUGE, at least to me. Later that night we did a blackwater dive. Just my wife and I along with a DM in the water. Although we did not see anything big, we did see lots of little fellas. It was quite a feeling to be dangling off a rope as the boat just drifts along. Your sense are on full alert the whole time. I would do it again if the opportunity arises.

Day 4: Shore diving at Crescent Bay and off Malini Beach. The surge was up at Crescent, and it is a bit a a walk carrying your gear, so we were really tired afterward.

We saw lots of critters of all types, octopus, lobster, barracuda, frog fish, squid and about a million yellow tangs. Dive Makai was great to work with. Small operation, never more than 13 divers (max) and divided into two groups by ability. Given freedom to dive our profile and not hand tied to the DM, although they were excellent at finding things for us. When you were low on air, you told them, did your SS, while everyone else used up their air. Nice and relax, no rushes. I will try to post some pics in a day or so. I am a beginner in UW photo. I did not take my camera into the BW dive, as the DM took his. I am still waiting to get those from him, so ANDY, if you are reading this, please send!

Does Dive Makai store your gear for you if you are doing multiple days with them?

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I will be heading over for Christmas this year.

They do. They set up your gear if you want, change your tanks between dives, and if going out on multiple trips, you can leave as much or as little with them as you want. We would leave our BC's and regs, but take our wetsuits to dry them out overnight.

As I mentioned earlier, their boat isn't the newest on the water, but everything worked fine, it wasn't a junker by any means. To me, the crew make or break a dive. We actually dove with three different crews, and all held to high expectations, friendly, and felt safe while being able to dive our own profiles. There is shade if you want, or you can sit on the bow and see more and get some sun, your choice. Dive Makai are the only dive op I have dove with in Kona, and I hear there are other good ops, but when I go back, I will dive with them again.

Let me know if you book with them and be sure to leave a report!

As an aside, I've had nothing but very good experience with the current iteration of Dive Makai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, as someone who dove for a 15 years with the old dive makai, when Kendra, Lisa, Amy, Alexa, and Tom were all around, this was the height of the best of the best of dive crews. There were consistently written up in the worlds dive publications as the top crew, year after year.

I wanted so much to love, or even like, or even tolerate the new dive makai. But I cannot. Go with Patrice at Pacific Rim divers, if you want a dive guide near the qualities of the original dive makai.

Good diving,
Don

Aloha Don Erway,

A little puzzled by your post as the last time you dove with us was over 2 1/2 years ago. The current Dive Makai continues to receive excellent reviews. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Kimberly
Dive Makai Charters

Hi Kimberly.

Since you bring it up, I would never recommend, nor dive with an outfit, which agrees to buy a world class operation, such as Dive Makai was, under Tom & Lisa, and then breaks the contract, arbitrarily, and uses legal shenanigans to avoid paying what you agreed to pay for the business.

The instant I hear you have paid what you own to Tom and Lisa, you'll have my business, and recommendations, wholeheartedly.

As long as I hear you telling them that you can keep it tied up in court until they die of old age, you must be kidding. Not one dollar. Not one recommendation.

Aloha.
Don

Don Erway,

Well, just know that there are 2 sides to every story and it is a shame that you were only given one side of the story/situation. It is also a shame that the other party feels the need to conduct themselves in a very unprofessional manner.

This blog is a forum to write about diving.

~K~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom