Kona Dive Report August 28-30.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VinoBambinos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just getting around to posting a short trip report for our visit to the Big Island the last week of August. Having read a lot of reviews we decided to book our three days of diving with Kona Diving Company in Kailua-Kona.

We were a little apprehensive on dive number one because it was the first time my wife and I would be in the water without any of our dive friends (TripleD). Kerry and the rest of the group from KDC quickly made us feel comfortable and by the end of the first dive we were happy with our choice.

Kerry and Paul were great at finding the critters we would have easily missed, each dive began with a detailed briefing of the site, what conditions we should expect, and what we would likely see. By the last day, I was so confident in the group that I ended my dives with my wife pairing up with Kerry so she could get a little more bottom time (I'm an air hog)...something I would not normally do.

We saw a lot of small stuff like nudi's, flatworms, and blenny's, we also saw several eagle rays and had a pod of spinner dolphin swim though our group. Things we hadn't seen before like pipefish, leaf scorpionfish, and longfin anthias. I even got video of a horned helmet eating an urchin.

BTW, there was one Manta on our night dive (Grayer), but he put on a show (my wife took 348 pics).

Vis was pretty good 75+, and we averaged 78-79 degree water temps.

We can't wait until we get back to Hawaii, and would definitely recommend KDC they made us feel like family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom