Kona damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are glad to hear that there were no fatalities yesterday but just wondering how bad the damage is around Kailua-Kona......... Hotels damaged? (Isn't the triathalon coming up soon?) What about roads? Dive ops?
We are due to arrive in 3 weeks and wondering if we should try to postpone. Would it be better if everyone stayed away for awhile so the locals can get their lives back together? Or is all the damage minor enough that all will be back to normal in a few days? We really don't want to postpone but just concerned about tourists getting in the way. :crying2:

robint

robint where are you staying? I'm going to be there in a few weeks myself. I'm staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. I went to their site last night and found they put up some info about their resort. Not sure how close that is to Kailua without looking at a map right now.

I would give them a couple of days to collect themselves and then call your hotel or check their web site. They might even have a recording for when people call for info.

A friend of mine is hosting a film about a guy in the Ironman. She says they are not canceling the Ironman.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

No Injuries, No Structural Damage at Hilton Waikoloa Village Despite 6.6 Magnitude Earthquake
The earthquake struck at 7:07 a.m. six miles southwest of Puako on the Kohala Coast of Hawaii’s Big Island

KOHALA COAST, HAWAII’S BIG ISLAND (October 15, 2006) – 4 p.m. There are no injuries and currently no structural damage at Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Kohala Coast of Hawaii’s Big Island, located within a close vicinity to the epicenter of the earthquake. The 6.6 magnitude earthquake occurred at 7:07 a.m. and was followed by as many as 30 aftershocks.

There was no need for evacuation of the resort. Complimentary lunch was provided to all guests and team members at 11:30 a.m. Electricity was restored at approximately 12:40 p.m., and limited phone lines are presently working. Hawaiian Telecom has advised that they are working on getting the remainder of phone lines up and running.

Hilton Waikoloa Village is accommodating all needs of guests and team members. The resort is currently advising guests to remain on-property and avoid leaving the resort or hitting the roads. At this time, United Airlines has canceled all inbound flights from the mainland for today. Additionally, American Airlines has canceled all inbound and outbound flights for the day. All inter-island flights are still available, although there are delays. Aloha Airlines inbound and outbound flights to the mainland are also still available.

A complimentary dinner buffet is available for registered guests in the Grand Ballroom. All evening events are canceled and dining outlets are closed.

we are booked for the Royal Kona... so many of the hotels down in Kailua-Kona are highrises and if even one or two are damaged then it could cause a real crunch with people who are already booked for the next couple of weeks or months.
If anyone hears anything, please post!!

thanks!

FYI

If you arrived on the plane this morning you would have no idea anything had occured yesterday. Hotels are fine, EVERY dive op is up and running, etc. I've seen worse after a winter rain.

Matthew

I guess doom and gloom as well as dirty laundry sells news.

The Hilton Waikoloa is almost on top of the epicenter. If they had no damage, others should have little too. BTW, Kona has few "highrises", not like Waikiki. Just one of many reasons I like Big Isl best.

CNN has an incomprehensable grasp on reality.

Hey Brian! Had a seahorse last monday night. First one since you and Cathy were here. Finished the dive with an oceanic bumping the camera. WOO HOOO!!! Also we have been having squid on the Manta dive. Dude, you gotta come home.

As soon as the locals stop sueing the army, I have a one year contract there! Sit in a truck all day untill something turns up then I blow it up. Plenty of time to rest after DMing black water dives every night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pondering which job is more dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom