Kona Agressor, Out of Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't even fathom (pardon the pun) the idea of jumping off a boat without having first looked at the pressure guage myself.

I always setup my own rig as well. Even if the boat crew offers. It's not about trust or lack thereof. I just like doing it. It's part of my "Going to go diving" ritual.

It seems that once the crew knows I'm doing my own thing, they don't check my valve before I jump. That works for me since I've already checked it...

-Charles

Interesting related finding on my dive last month in Jupiter, FL. We were doing some deep drift dives - about 95 ft. We descended quickly and when I checked my SPG at the bottom, I found that the pressure was oscillating then I took a breath. The pressure at expiration was 2500, but with ispiration it was 1800. As is common with many of these events, the first thing is to stop and think. I thought that something must be up with the 1st stage or tank valve. I indicated to to my dive buddy after showing her what was going on. She checked the tank valve first and it was on, but only about 1 turn. Once she fully opened it up, the oscillation stopped. I must have been breathing through a barely opened tank. I had no indication with resistence, etc. I did crack the valve to check the pressure on deck, made sure it was full, but did not then fully open it. I think this why all divers need at least 100 dives before they have developed habits that avoid some of these issues, and the experience to correct some of the problems that occur. This forum also makes me think and run over various scenarios in my head so that hopefully they never occur, but if they do, then I have thought about how to correct the problem.

Bob

Anyone who has not had a rookie mistake is got one coming. I am not suppose to admit this sort of thing but--

I worked a 12 hour midnight shift once then loaded up for Jupiter. I rigged my gear through watery bloodshot eyes and a sleepy brain. My predive Jump revealed the following.

My tank valve was off. My BCD rear dump valve was unscrewed and hanging (I store it that way) my power inflator was not connected.

Now I hope none of that would have killed me and I would have simply turned on the air and then on the bottom screwed in the bdc valve and either orally inflated or connected the inflator, but if I was tired enough to screw all that up who knows.

In a paralell example. I do stuff on duty and later find out about the knife, gun, bomb, guy hiding behind the fridge behind me I forgot to check. You think "crap that could have killed me." Do not beat yourself up just swear you'll never let that one slip by again.

Personally I think they were to blame for it not being full 100%. Then you are 100% to blame for diving it. Depending on your POV you both get 100%.

As to turning my valve as I am lumbering to the back with all my gear on and long webbed feet I do not care for it either. WHY do they do that? They are fools to do that.---

As a boat they are by law only responsible for the trip there and the trip back not the dive. When you stick your mitts on my tank valve NOW YOU ARE liable for it being ON! Nobody likes you screwing with their rig and it is only a determent to your civil suit should I die because my air is off. Keep your mitts off my rig. Simple eh?

One of the main reasons for using the long hose as the primary is that the person who the air is being donated to, knows that the hose that reaches them works. You pass off the long hose and the secondary is always near your face. Not a good idea to test if a regulator works on a diver who is OOA.

Also, I assume that when you got back on the boat, you got a different tank so that the one that went OOA got a proper visual. We have to remember, when we are diving, the one using the equipment is ABSOLUTELY responsible for checking their own equipment and monitoring gas supply CONSTANTLY! Not check after half hour or 20 minutes. The only reason that an OOA situation should arise is massive equipment failure such as a freeflow, hose failure, burst disc failure.

I am glad your situation was resolved without injury.

One of the main reasons for using the long hose as the primary is that the person who the air is being donated to, knows that the hose that reaches them works. You pass off the long hose and the secondary is always near your face. Not a good idea to test if a regulator works on a diver who is OOA.

Agreed. That was why I questioned divekraz about why he necklaces his primary around his face and has his octo on a quick release holder tied around his neck (ready to donate to his buddy.)

Aparently that's the way his "tech diver" friends dive and who am I to question such wisdom?

Anyone who has not had a rookie mistake is got one coming.

Do not beat yourself up just swear you'll never let that one slip by again.

Thank you, Orlando, for this helpful posting. You make a point that I try to keep in mind.

Yes, we can all make mistakes. (I amazed at the so-called Pros or Techies on this Forum who criticize the new divers who make rookie mistakes.)

One of the benefits of ScubaBoard is that gives divers a way to learn from each other and to make diving safer.

Thanks for your posting, Orlando.

I always check my air before entering the water. However one time in Palau, I checked my air, turned my valve off and let the tank sit. A little later, we were getting in the water, I checked my air again.....assuming my valve was turned back on. It still registered a full tank. I jumped into the Blue Hole in Palau, dropped to 80 feet. As I went down, I noticed that it was harder and harder to suck air out of my tank. In the end, I made a free ascent from 80 feet. I now recommend making it a habit of turning on your valve YOURSELF and checking the air YOURSELF, right BEFORE you enter the water.

Robin:

I read your post. Nice to hear you're alive and diving. Eric and I just got back from Cozumel in October. Eric's thinking about diving the Neckton Explorer based on your recommendations. I'm off to the Galapagos in September. Hope to see you guys sometime.

Ray of Eric and Ray in Southern California

I always check my air before entering the water. However one time in Palau, I checked my air, turned my valve off and let the tank sit. A little later, we were getting in the water, I checked my air again.....assuming my valve was turned back on. It still registered a full tank. I jumped into the Blue Hole in Palau, dropped to 80 feet. As I went down, I noticed that it was harder and harder to suck air out of my tank. In the end, I made a free ascent from 80 feet. I now recommend making it a habit of turning on your valve YOURSELF and checking the air YOURSELF, right BEFORE you enter the water.

Once I have my gear setup, even if it may be an hour before the dive, when I turn the tank on, It stays on. This way, I know that it is definitely on. Also, If there is going to be a hose rupture, it is more likely to be on the deck of the boat. Immediately before the dive, check the valve to make sure it is still on, but it always is. Perhaps if you do want to turn it off, purge the gas from the regs. That way, there will be no false positives. However, I still think my best procedure is to turn on my main and my pony while setting up. This way, i know everything is on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom