Kona Agressor, Out of Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always check my air before entering the water. However one time in Palau, I checked my air, turned my valve off and let the tank sit. A little later, we were getting in the water, I checked my air again.....assuming my valve was turned back on. It still registered a full tank. I jumped into the Blue Hole in Palau, dropped to 80 feet. As I went down, I noticed that it was harder and harder to suck air out of my tank. In the end, I made a free ascent from 80 feet. I now recommend making it a habit of turning on your valve YOURSELF and checking the air YOURSELF, right BEFORE you enter the water.

What I do is turn on the valve while wearing my rig. Every time. That forces me to make sure I can always reach it. One day I will forget to turn it on, and I hope that when that happens I will be able to reach back and turn it on at 80' rather than needing to surface.

You're more flexible than I am, Reg, if you can easily get to your valves on dry land. :)
Tom

Back
Top Bottom