komodo - shore based diving or liveboard ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Komodo is good without the southern sites; it's great with the southern sites. No liveaboard, no southern sites (generally speaking).

On a day boat, you'll get to a site and dive along with the groups from six or eight other day boats. With a liveaboard, you can avoid that scenario, in most cases.

Ok, so in end of april or in may, where would u recommend me to go to, south or north ? As I know that it's colder in the south, should I then this time for a liveboard to the north or ....?

All the liveaboards are going to do a north/south circuit, unless you charter the whole boat for your group and discuss the itinerary with the captain & dive guide. When you reserve your spot, check on the itinerary, and go with the right wetsuit ... probably a 5 mil minimum with a hood for most people in the South.

A good answer to this questions has to take in several factors: And it depends on your preferences for many things from individual personalities of guides to culture of the organisations, language etc... But the most easily definable ones are:

Budget. with Day dives costing about 80 per day plus maybe $30 for basic accommodations and dinner . Liveaboard 180+

Number of dives per day and Comfort: Day Dives usually 2 Sometimes 3. LIveaboard 3-4

Length of Stay and destinations: Our live-aboard schedule is for trips Normally 6 nights so we can cover most of the park. A live-aboard offering shorter trips probably wont be going to the south. On a 7 day trip we will hit the best sites in the north and the south. A shorter trip we would probably choose to focus on either the north or the south,usually the north.

And that is another questions that has been raised elsewhere- north or south?

Your preferences for the types of dive sites available is important. The short answer is that Typically the dives sites in the north are preferred by the sport divers looking for clear warm water conditions.

I think the photographers and more experienced divers better appreciate the conditions in the south with rich invertebrate life. But usually cooler water. (24 degrees and 15 meter vis).

But this is complicated by many factors and I cant go into them all now but you should consider the conditions for the Time of the Year you want to visit.

Many Northern sites are affected by the northeast monsoon Jan and Feb. With these monsoonal winds come choppier more difficult surface conditions, and planktonic blooms from upwellings so visibility and temperature can drop in the north during the northwest monsoon....(where as it is normally 28 degrees and 25 meter Vis) . At this time we also get clear warm waters flooding the southern sites...

Many Southern sites are effected by by the southeast monsoon July August. SO it can be a little rough, BUT still manageable and comfortable if you are in a good boat. the mantas also chase the plankton around the park. SO the two main aggregation sites (one in the north and one in the south) are also seasonal.

Oh and then there is peak season! When some of the popular sites are just too popular with too many divers and boats hanging around for my liking!

My Preference....March - June and October - December.

THere is lots of great diving in the park. The rest is between you and the operator! Be flexible, and if they are good they will give you the best possible diving package given the conditions, and your preferences!

Best,

Greg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom