Komodo: liveaboard vs. land-based resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove Raja Ampat recently, at two resorts and a liveaboard. The diving from the resorts was better than the liveaboard. It's my opinion that you do not need to be on a liveaboard in order to see the best of Raja Ampat as far as diving goes.

I wonder if the same is true for Komodo. Any thoughts on booking a liveaboard vs. staying at places like Komodo Resort, Scuba Junkie, or in a Labuan Bajo rental? If I stayed at a rental in Labuan Bajo, I'd use a dive operator such as Azul Komodo.

I'd probably travel sometime between June and August.

As far as I agree with you for Dampier straits diving in R4, I wouldn't with Komodo. Because of the geography but also to the different crowds diving the places : this explaining why I think resort diving is different in the two places.

Firstly, the boat transfers to the dive sites are loooooong from LBJ and the speedboats are usually crammed. There are many sites that aren't covered by the resorts (South Rinca or Western Komodo sites).
Secondly most of Komodo operations cater to cheap backpackers or holidayers while R4 attract more serious or hardcore divers. So LBJ dive centers are focused on customers who'll take one of two days fundiving : hence they're usually going to Makassar/manta reef and a few popular ones like Shotgun over and over again, since Batu Bolong (one of the best sites of Komodo IMO) is now restricted as I have heard.

I have been on both resort and liveaboard diving in Komodo. I'd recommend a short liveaboard going south in the last months of the year (Oct to Dec) or North Central and West in the May-Oct months.

Komodo is a phenomenal liveaboard diving destination. With so many dive sites spread across a large area, diving from land-based day boats means you'd miss out on some great sites (or you'd spend a lot of time bobbing around in a small boat).

Diving from a liveaboard allows you to relax comfortably onboard between dives, and all of Komodo's best dive sites are quickly accessible. Liveaboards also allow you to maximize your dive time (up to 4 dives per day!), and shore excursion opportunities are always a fun addition to a dive trip.

All Star Aurora has availability on a 7-night Komodo trip beginning on July 7, 2023 and a 9-night Komodo trip beginning August 30, 2023!

komodo is in the same spot as palau imo. while you can go land based, the liveaboard saves time on speedboat rides, gets to a larger variety of sites, and generally is going to be more comfortable as LBJ is more like a wild west boom town than a tourist destination. if budget is an issue, combine a shorter liveaboard that does south rinca with some time at scuba junkies.

I have done both.
LoB offers comfy between dive(rest in your own cabin) and better breakfast + the 4th dive.
Scuba junkie is my preferred choice in the future. Flexible schedule, no need to book through any agent etc etc. No speed boat.

Your choice/holiday/money.

Homestay at R4.

This is a trip report on the budget boat:

This is a trip report on the budget boat:

I’ve done both as well (LOB) and land based. Based on my experience, I would strongly recommended a LOB for Komodo.

Additionally, the outfit above has 2 boats (Mimic and Wonderpus). The Mimic is a budget boat. The Wonderpus should not be considered a budget boat, but it’s not a 5 star luxury boat. That said, what they lack in luxury they make up in service. FWIW, I’ve done 2 separates trips on the Wonderpus-approximately 20 days in total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom