Komodo liveaboard in Jan 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
Is January a good time to do a liveaboard from Komodo to Bali? Looking for something to do over the Christmas /New Year for a couple of weeks. Or would I be better off staying in a dive resort? Any advice much appreciated. Also, does anyone know which airline flies to Komodo? It's all pretty expensive, but is it worth it?

We had a great time there on the Komodo Dancer in Jan 09 - roundtrip from Bali to Komodo and back. Relatively inexpensive at ~$3100 for 11 nights, and maybe they will give a deal.

Dove all the big sites down to Komodo as well as other sites on the way. We were even going to do Tulumben (unexpected surprise I was jazzed to do) but the boat hit strong seas and current on the way back which held us up so we couldn't make it there in time.

You can either take the boat 1 way from Bali to Komodo or from Komodo to Bali, or roundtrip. You would have more time if you went one way even though we only really spent the last day full steaming home.

It was worth every cent to us. If you want to make full use of your time diving, then LOB is the way to go.

Hey that's great thanks. So the only way to get to Komodo is by boat? I thought there might have been flights or a quicker way?

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

... so the only way to get to Komodo is by boat? I thought there might have been flights or a quicker way ...

You're right ... there's a quicker way. Many boats start their trips from Labuan Bajo, on Flores, just east of Komodo/Rinca. It' a short flight from Bali. No wasted transit time spent aboard a boat. Just search boats and trips ... you'll find them.

I did some land based diving out of Labuanbajo back in 2007, and we flew from DenPasar and the name of the airline has escaped me, but I'm sure you can find it, just make sure book ahead. If I recall this flight was full of liveaboard divers and shore based divers as well.

Hope this helps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom