Komodo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilariaparigi

Registered
Reaction score
hi,
I'm planning a short trip to Labuan Bajo (flying from Bali) in July in order to dive in the Komodo park. I don't like liveabords and I'd prefer doing daily trips from Labuan Bajo.
I've read some diving reports from komodo and I'm really concerned about the currents, have you dived there? is it really so difficult?
I do not want to risk my life! I'm AOW and I dove in Mexico, Santo Domingo, Zanzibar, Thailand and Red Sea. the only dives I did with current were in Cozumel but they were funny and quite easy to do. what afraids me is the mix of up and down currents I've read in some reports concerning the komodos....
could you also suggest me any reliable diving in Labuan bajo that really cares about safety?
tx:happywave::happywave::happywave::happywave:

Last edited:
Currents there are mostly tidal, so it depends on when you drop in. I've only heard of one area where there's much up/down current on Banta Island. If in current hopefully the boat is following your bubbles. Keep reef or wall in sight. If all you see is water come up. Some really great dives in Komodo area (Banta & Rinca Islands).

Dived in Komodo in April on the Komodo Dancer (see trip report on BSAC webite) and really didn't encounter a lot of current. It would seem to depend on the quality of your dive guide and their ability to plan for the tides and check out the site before you get in the water. I'm sure its more complicated and unpredictable than that but it certainly worked for us.
Dave

I'm a little bit worried also about the reliabity of the dive centers, last year in june one of them lost 5 divers in komodo (they were found after 40 hours).

Dive Komodo took good care of us when we were out there last year (just after the divers were lost). There was also a shop that we were with for 1 day that was owned by a Dutch lady ( I can't recall the name, but it shouldn't be hard to find- there's only a few shops in LB) that was great. Unfortunately her boat had to be taken out of the water for repairs just after we arrived. Recommend staying at the Golo Hilltop Resort. Very clean rooms, great local staff, good food and sunsets. Have a great time.

Darius

We were just there a couple of weeks ago, on a three-day bare-bones liveaboard trip with Divine Diving--they also run day trips, which we didn't experience. It was a lot of fun, and we had a great local longtime DM who knew the currents very well, so the diving was easy. We too stayed at the Golo Hilltop on either end of our trip, and I'd highly recommend it (although lugging dive gear up and down those stairs is no fun!!). My only regret is that we should have spent more time on the island of Flores itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom