Komodo conditions in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been to Komodo twice in November and have heard from a few others that the conditions in January differ from November.
I've heard that it's the rainy season, and the water will be cooler in the North with lower vis, rougher seas, and warmer in the South with better vis, with also rougher seas.
I'm looking at doing a land based trip instead of a liveboard so sea conditions are a big factor.
I'm planning a January Indonesia trip and am hoping to hear peoples experiences of Komodo in January.

Actually I like January, but in the south, not in the north. You are correct that the water temp and viz in the north does drop at that time of the year, but in the south "typically" water gets quite clear and does warm up a lot (27,28 C or 80+F) Water in the south is usually calm in January unless there is a storm and I think its a great time of year to dive the south, especially around Nusa Kode etc.
Winds do come from NW more at that time of year so places like Castle and Crystal in the north can get large waves.
You might want to check with the operator where they are located and if they will be concentrating more on the north or the south. A lot of the land based ops do go south at that time of year

Hi DF

We have friends who went in January and it was fine.......also was I'm.sure you know Scuba Junkies now have a place in South Komodo. It looks simpler than the Mabul property, but gets great reviews.

Have a wonderful time.

Why so set on Komodo? Why not lob in Raja Ampat?

Why so set on Komodo? Why not lob in Raja Ampat?

Because in November I'm doing a liveaboard trip from Ambon to Raja Ampat, then since I've turned 50 this years I'm doing another in Raja right after:D:D:D. I can hardly wait.

Thanks Mike, the resort I'm looking at does dive the Southern sites which I'm pleased about, as I love Rinca Bay and could dive it alone for a week.
Mike are the Manta's going to be around in the South that time of year or do they move North?

Tippy, shhhh, don't let the secret out. It's SJ that I'm looking at, it has a great location where they can dive the North and South.

I haven't had a ton of luck with Mantas in Manta Alley in Jan/Feb, they seem to congregate more around Makassar Reef at that time. That should be no problem getting there

Back
Top Bottom