Koh Tao vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe that we are debating the definition of a monsoon here. Easy to look it up.
First definition from the website you indicated, and according to that website the only applicable definition for Thailand:
the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter.

Bowmouth and Stevenl,

You know what, Fu88 it!! It never rains in Phuket- especially not in the rainy season. Monsoons there bring sun and cool, happy breezes and the diving is far superior to anywhere else in the world, much less Thailand, year-round. Stay away from the Gulf where all is shiite and people are nasty liars.

For the entire world- Please plan your diving holidays in Phuket, particularly in the rainy season (May-Sept) when Bowmouth, StevenL and Batfish virtually guarantee (scientifically!!) that "rainy season" means "mostly sun".

Now can we stop with this catastrophe?!!!???!!??!

Bowmouth,

Just one last question (OK, three) before I hang myself, why is it that "The Similans National Park is closed for diving..." between May and October? Is it because the park rangers fear the horrible sunburns that they get during the "rainy season"? Or is it because of the wind and rain?

I would think because of the rough seas and rainy weather. Of course I am not a scientist. But it does not stop fisherman from laying lines. I went last October at the beginning of the season and encountered some. I bet too rough from most holiday people, but still allows some to evade the restrictions.

In fact....the weather is so nice that big dive boats never sink on the West Coast...just like the one that didn't sink on the West Coast last monsoon.:rofl3:

Bowmouth,

Just one last question (OK, three) before I hang myself, why is it that "The Similans National Park is closed for diving..." between May and October? Is it because the park rangers fear the horrible sunburns that they get during the "rainy season"? Or is it because of the wind and rain?

A good question BCD Anny deserves a good answer:
It's because the National Park believes that the reefs need a "rest" from divers and a chance to recover from any negative impact it may have had during the high season.

There are also a few islands and reefs in the Similan National Park that have been completely off limit to divers for years now in order to give the reef a chance to regenerate and to give certain marine animal species (especially turtles) a chance to live a more or less undisturbed life.

It's got actually nothing to do with the weather...

:D

Bowmouth and Stevenl,

You know what, Fu88 it!! It never rains in Phuket- especially not in the rainy season.

Dear, dear BCD Anny,

You must be really boiling by now girl! I highly recommend you to drink a nice cup of herbal tea and take a few slow deep breaths before answering posts in this thread.

This is what I wrote in a previous post: "It's NOT raining every day, it's NOT windy every day and seas are NOT rough every day."

Just to be clear (now please read slowly and carefully):
It DOES rain in Phuket in the rainy season but NOT every day. In fact there are days on end with nice sunny weather and calm seas.

In fact....the weather is so nice that big dive boats never sink on the West Coast...just like the one that didn't sink on the West Coast last monsoon.:rofl3:

The dive boats that sunk during the last 15 years or so (and there have been quite a few) sunk because of either lack of proper pumps / machinery, because they were not properly maintained (read: not all that sea-worthy) and sometimes because of what I call "crew failure" (Captain making wrong decision at the wrong time).

I'm somewhat embarresed to admit that even in Phuket some (mostly budget) diveboats (in the past) were just not all that up to standards...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom