Koh Tao vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should know better. Even during the moonsoon, most of the time the rain is limited to one/two (heavy) showers a day, with plenty of sunshine in between.

No it is not, neither on the Andaman Side nor on the Gulf Side. Did you know that a lot of instructors prefer the diving here in the low season? Far less divers, quite often excellent visibility and lots of marine sightings.
OK Batfish,

Um, again not trying to offend, but I think that you were the one that said "The monsoon here (i.e., Phuket) is year round." I guess my inaccuracy was to think that it was only restricted to part of the year. I'll concede your point that you are constantly in "monsoon". My apologies and heartfelt condolences. I now understand why "you Phuket types" are so bitter. Studies have proven that people deprived of sunlight are much more likely to suffer from depression.

And to stevenl...
I've seen 10 years worth of monsoons and I can't remember any of them characterized by rain which "is limited to one/two (heavy) showers a day, with plenty of sunshine in between." That sounds great on the brochure, but is hardly the reality. I would also refer you to my original post which stated that the diving may well be better on the Andaman side- even during the monsoon.

I wouldn't know whether there are any instructors that prefer the Andamans in the low season as most are too busy working on this side (in our high season). We do come over there in numbers in our crap season (yes, it does get **** here. Evidently, unlike over there).

And finally Bowmouth...
Please, don't be ridiculous. You seemingly equate Phuket with some cosmopolitan Paris-of-the-East. As if all of us lowly eastsiders could become civilized by visiting your fine galleries, operas, symphonies and theater. I've tracked you slagging us (in a most highbrow manner, granted) for some time now and it starts to grate.

My original post which drew the ire of so many of the Phuket crew was both complimentary of the diving on the Andaman side and frankly honest, with regard to the seasons.

So, to repeat what was already said and ignored (in a very simplified way so that my retarded bretheren in the Gulf will understand)- Andaman diving is BETTER than the Gulf. Monsoon (WHEREVER) is to be avoided while on holiday.

Welcome to the Land of Smiles!!!!

And finally Bowmouth...
Please, don't be ridiculous..

Dear BCD Anny Malone,
This is a ridiculous thread (similar to the one I started today) and it deserves ridiculous statements!
It's been a horribly rainy day today here in Phuket but in my little office the sun was shining!

:D

Anny, seems you are taking this waaaay too seriously. But...

if you're on holiday during the monsoon, you'll spend just a short period underwater and the rest of the time on land in a rainstorm

And you claim to have seen 10 years worth of monsoons? And you are not aware that the whole year is a monsoon of one sort or another? And not aware that the NE monsoon does not carry rain? And,

"is limited to one/two (heavy) showers a day, with plenty of sunshine in between." That sounds great on the brochure, but is hardly the reality.

No, that is the reality. The "rainy" season wherever you may be has mostly sun. Have a look at my weather blog for Phuket and Camilles weather blog for Samui. I say again : The rainy season is mostly sunny.

Ya basta.

Hope it's sunny tomorrow.

Bastafish,

I can't believe that we are debating the definition of a monsoon here. Easy to look it up. I recommend Dictionary.com or even wikipedia.org. Pretty much all definitions mention "heavy rain". I would argue that the rainy season is usually characterized by rain rather than sun.

I can assure you that during our rainy season here (usually about 6 weeks somewhere in Oct-Dec), it's mostly rainy. I wish it weren't the case, but it is. And it sucks. And lots of dive pros come over to dive your side because it's sooo much nicer than the miserable conditions here during the monsoon. I'm sure Camille wouldn't remember too many sunny days from this past monsoon which put most of Chaweng under a meter or more of water and many nicer homes in Bophut were accessible only by boat. Not slagging Samui, mind, it sucked on KT, too.

Apparently, I was wrong to suggest that it can be rainy and windy during the monsoon and it's better to avoid it than to plan a holiday to visit an area in the middle of one (Remember,this thread started with a guy who was planning a 6 day trip). If I had such a short time for a holiday, I'd be quite upset to learn on arrival that the people I booked with failed to mention that it was the monsoon season. I think that's why people ask questions on these forums- so they get the viewpoints of others, not just the ones trying to book them.

Let me ask, if the weather is so sunny and beautiful during your monsoon season, why is it that the liveaboards don't run?

I agree that this thread is getting old. In the end, I really don't care where the poor guy goes on his holiday.

I agree, no need to really bash but take the general acceptable seasons into consideration. Liveaboards are a great example. I found good diving on both sides for different reasons.

"If I had such a short time for a holiday, I'd be quite upset to learn on arrival that the people I booked with failed to mention that it was the monsoon season. I think that's why people ask questions on these forums- so they get the viewpoints of others, not just the ones trying to book them."

I think you sum it up well, BCDannymolone.

AZ

Cheers Arizona. Now let's get back to the real business of bashing Pattaya!!!:)

(Most) Liveaboards in Phuket do not run between May and October because of several reasons:
- The Similans National Park is closed for diving (this has been so for many years but still some boats have been doing trips and been paying a "fine")
- Weather can be bad and seas can be rough and it can be unsafe and uncomfortable to go far out at sea. Therefor it's impossible for LOB operators to guarantee their departures.

Still; there ARE many weeks of nice sunny weather and fairly calm seas during the "wet-green-rainy-monsoon-whatever you name it" season. Some boats run a LOB schedule closer to Phuket and will take divers for 4 days or so to Phi-Phi, Koh Yung, Racha Yai and Noi, Ko Ha and sometimes even Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

It's NOT raining every day, it's NOT windy every day and seas are NOT rough every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom