Koh Tao vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of a short diving trip of 5-6 days in mid-late May. Deciding between koh tao and phuket (excluding similan, etc.). Has anyone been to both places. How are the diving there?

Also, is Koh Tao much different from the East coast of West Malaysia Peninsula?

Thanks in advance.

I was just there in Thailand Feb. Phuket is very touristy and it is a beach version of Bangkok, there is allot of top side things to do. There beach reminds me of the beach of Majorca with all the people the on Patong beach. There are tons of clubs and plenty to do top side. Tons of shops if you have a lady companion going with you.

Tons of dive operations there. You can do a super sunday trip to phi phi island with sea bee's, with speed boat, that has 4 dive, with one being a night dive. They have very new equipment if you are renting and will discount if you bring your own gear. You can also take a day trip to the similan island, the diving there is fantastic, if you have a good day, you will see gaint manta's and whale shakes. On the day trips all food and drinks are provided. If you want a custom wetsuit you can go to hotwave phuket, and they can make on for you. The normal wetsuit for the summer is a 3mm shorty.

Koh Tao like Koh Samui has some touristy parts, but it is way more relaxing then Phuket. There are jungles unlike phuket, so you get nature also with koh tao. The diving in the gulf is not as nice as the andaman sea where the similian islands are. But there is still nice diving there. The water is a bit less green in the gulf the the andaman sea. You will find great food at a fantastic price also. If you eat where the locals eat, you are looking at 6 US dollars a day, and where the tourist go about 10-12 it is the same for phuket.

Since you are stay only for a short trip, phuket airport is only 12-20 minutes form the hotel area where patong and kata beach are. Koh Tao, you will have to fly to Koh Samui first and then take a boat trip to Koh Tao. Some Airlines fly directly to phuket, Koh Tao require transfer from bankok airport to Koh Samui, which is a insane air. There is more thing to do there then any other airport I have been in.

I my opinion the Khao Lak region of Thailand, which is 1 hour north of phuket on the mainland has the best diving, it is closest to the Similan Islands. This area is still rebuilding, since the tsunami heavily damage this area.

Thailand is awesome, my wife wants to go back next year. The food is fantastic, people are friendly. We were there for 2 weeks and the is so much more to see. You can not go wrong with either phuket or koh tao. I would try to see which location fits better for you short trip. PM me if you have any more question about thailand. PS Koh in thai means island,

I my opinion the Khao Lak region of Thailand, which is 1 hour north of phuket on the mainland has the best diving.

Thailand is awesome, my wife wants to go back next year. The food is fantastic, people are friendly....

I lived in Thailand in 1990 and was back with the ex-wife in 1998. I love the country and would recommend almost anywhere in the country, it's one of the best places I've ever been. I still miss it to this day...

I liked Koh Tau, but didn't like Koh Samui all that much and really really liked Koh Phanga. However, I have no idea what Koh Phanaga is like now, as it was 10 years ago that I visited and it was a low key paradise.

Dove Koh Tao and Koh Phi Phi in 2001 (pre-tsunami). I enjoyed both, but thought the diving around Koh Phi Phi was better. Of course it depends on time of year since the monsoon seasons are different in the two regions as I understand it.

During May the weather conditions are most likely more favorable on Koh Tao than in Phuket.
True, however I think the diving is still a lot better in the Andaman Sea.

A few corrections:
the 4 dive daytrip to Phi Phi is not by speedboat but by slow boat.

The Phuket Sloturtle is talking about is Patong Beach, there is a lot more to Phuket than Patong, including e.g. jungles (at least more than on Koh Tao).

Mid to end May, don't count on trips to the Similan islands.

Phuket Airport is about 45 minutes from the main beaches.

Khao Lak in mid to end May I woulkd not recommend, since the main divesites from Khao Lak are the Similans, and you probably will not be able to dive there.

IMO best to go to: Phuket, Phi Phi or Krabi (Ao Nang).

I am playing devils advocated, a gulf of thailand instructor saids Koh Tao is better diving in may, While a phuket shop said phuket. You decide.

My opinion of the dive shops I dealt with in Thailand where very high they were all professional, super helpful and answer all our question and concerns. My wife felt comfortable speaking to our dive master in Germany and I in English. I felt sorry for them switching back an forth between english and german. When the Sumatra earth quake hit and a tsunami warning was issue, I was diving. They dive shop gave us all the detail about the warning they had once i got back on the boat. I felt comfortable with 5 dive shops I dealt with in Thailand. I drove 4 times in Koh Samui, 6 in Khao Lak, and 2 times in Phuket during my Feb vacation, all the dives were great, the water was warm, and all the shops I drove with were equally helpful.

Stevel you are right surin beach was allot nicer and relaxing then Patong Beach.

There is no point going to Phuket to dive if you "exclude the similans"... I didnt understand that part of your question.... if howerer: Go to Koh Tao, for 5-6 days that will keep you happy.

I have dived both places and IMO Phuket is best by Liveaboard (incl the similians, or Koh tachai, Koh Bon (quite dissapointing) or RR. I would also use Kao Lak as base, not the sleazy beaches found elsewhere in Phuket.

I also dived Sea bees which ine was refering to, and I do not agree that their equipment is good and new.. if you go with them (they are also very expensive) make sure you check any rental equipment, even fins!!

Happy travels

I would also use Kao Lak as base, not the sleazy beaches found elsewhere in Phuket
I know you're just trying to wind me up... please.. sleazy? You are referring to a few streets in the entire 500+ square km of Phuket Island. Take another look.

Is cost a factor for you?

A day trip dive from Phuket will cost you around 100US for a 2 tank dive.
http://www.southsiamdivers.com/phuketdaytrip1.php
http://www.southsiamdivers.com/phuketdaytrip2.php

On Koh Tao, a 2 tank dive will cost less than 30US.
http://www.taatohdivers.com/l_fun.html

Now... is the day trip diving in Phuket really 70US better?

Having done both Koh Tao and Phuket, Honestly, my answer is ... Sorry, but, I just didn't see Phuket being THAT much better for a day trip.

Next time I am back in Thailand... it will be back to Taa Toh for me.... unless I go on a liveaboard to the similans, that is.

just my 2 baht worth. :)

Back
Top Bottom