Koh Tao diving compared to Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would choose Koh Tao because there are elephants. I saw one at about 70 feet there.

Also you can do a DMT course that has TV Presenting skills thrown in and do a TV show with some Brit loony Ebert and Roper style.

LMAO... you goof ball, you're in Belize.... Stop checking the boards and dive or drink some Salvas already.

LOL that being said Koh Lanta is starting to sound nice... So are the Philipines. It sounds like Koh Tao just really isn't for me. I like to get out at night but the constant party scene isn't important to me. Memorable diving is!

I've spent about three months diving on Utila ( 2000, 2002 ) and a further three on Koh Tao, (2003. 2004, 2010 ) and IMO the underwater environment in Utila is more interesting.

Koh Lanta is a good bet, the underwater environment is way more interesting than Tao and I've seen a few dive shops advertising internships which will allow you to work off the price of your course and get some experience before heading out into the world of "trying to find work". Since the Andaman is somewhat seasonal, getting one of those internships may hinge on just when you do your program so if you're heading down there at the end of the typical season, you might find yourself out of luck if this program(s) appeal to you.

As far as I can tell, Koh Tao is trying to become a mini Koh Phangan, with partying and the beach scene being more of a focus than diving.

I dunno about the pricing for long term accommodation but the short term stuff is considerably more expensive than Tao. I couldn't find a crappy bungalow for less than 900 ThB/night.

Koh Lanta has also raised it's prices, it's now about a hundred bucks for two dives, and as much as I like the island and the diving, when I crunch the numbers I'm finding the Philippines a more attractive destination for an extended stay.

Andy, Re pete.

he's still about, mostly messing around in caves

He ran the Trident and dealt with the de-commissioning and sinking while i was away, I arrived back just in time to see her go down.

We plan next years trips together, I've tried to send you a shedule, what's your email address?

Is it reasonable cheap to live in Mabul a month ( say 2500 usd ) I'm trying to get out of country for an extended time every year. I live in a landlocked state ( WV ) and though we have a small lake scuba community there is simply no way to get suitable experience as a DM. I would guide more divers in a week abroad then in a year at home. I had heard a couple people mention Koh Tao but I seriously just want cheap lodgings, beautiful, memorable dives and good instruction. I'm not picky about parties or timid about areas though I do love a scuba oriented, barefoot,"take it easy" community.
Would you consider Philippines?
Puerto Galera is just the place for you. Peak season starts from Nov to Easter.
Diving there is very good and even spectacular in certain sites.
Finally, most Pinoys have basic understanding of English in even the most remoted part of the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom