Koh Tao diving compared to Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great advice. In comparing the areas I was really just wondering basic dive related stuff like vis and sea life. My goal in getting my DM is simple and twofold. 1. In a month and 1/2 give or take, I want to have a firm foundation on being a safe, responsible and fun DM. 2. While I'm interning as a DMT I want to make some wonderful dives. I'm fine with scant lodgings and will be on a budget ( to be determined ) anyway. After staying in barebones places like Utila, I am fine with a bed and a shower. For me it's dive, dive, dive... Couple beers... Sleep...dive, dive, dive. The party atmosphere neither entices or would dissuade me from staying in an area if the diving is great. The only parties I don't wanna miss happen somewhere between 20-30m LOL.
Is it reasonable cheap to live in Mabul a month ( say 2500 usd ) I'm trying to get out of country for an extended time every year. I live in a landlocked state ( WV ) and though we have a small lake scuba community there is simply no way to get suitable experience as a DM. I would guide more divers in a week abroad then in a year at home. I had heard a couple people mention Koh Tao but I seriously just want cheap lodgings, beautiful, memorable dives and good instruction. I'm not picky about parties or timid about areas though I do love a scuba oriented, barefoot,"take it easy" community.

Honestly I have set no firm date on the trip. I planned on leaving sometime after Febuary and before August. I hoped to let the destination set the date, as I know a lot of places are seasonal. So I am open to almost the entire first half of the year.

Since I have similar plans, how does Koh Tao compare to Koh Lanta?

Hallo Bubble Dragon,

Koh Lanta is a lot bigger island compared to Koh Tao and you will have access to some outstanding dive sites, mostly Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, not heavily visited sites but some of Thailand finest and easily accessible from Lanta.

On Lanta there's a much more seasonal period, roughly from October through to April/May. The rest of the year the shops may stay open but the island will be rather quiet.

Lanta has some nice things going, including very nice, seemingly never ending and rather quiet beaches, if that's your thing.

If you like more information, feel free to pm me. If required, you can do this in Dutch.

I have been to so many CA islands for recreational diving I can't remember them all. I have also done several liveaboards in CA and Cave diving in Mexico. I have also been going to Thailand on extensive trips for the last 8 years.

If I was in your shoes knowing what I do I would pick Thailand.

Others have given you some of the specifics.

John

Since I have similar plans, how does Koh Tao compare to Koh Lanta?

No comparison.
Unless you are into the back packer thing and constant parties of course. But in my opinion Koh Lanta is simply a far nicer place than Koh Tao.
As been said on these forums many times, generally a bad days diving in the Andaman Sea is better than a good days diving in the Gulf of Thailand. Just get the seasons right with regard to the weather.

I would choose Koh Tao because there are elephants. I saw one at about 70 feet there.

Also you can do a DMT course that has TV Presenting skills thrown in and do a TV show with some Brit loony Ebert and Roper style.

hahahahaha

Hi Robert!
TM

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom