Koh Samui or Koh Phi Phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

japanmike

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from Japan. Seasoned divers, we usually hit the Philippines but want to dive in Thailand for the first time. I am looking at Koh Samui vs. Koh Phi Phi... we want to know which area is better considering the following:

1. Travel in November 2010.
2. Beautiful beaches, decent but not extravagant hotel with ocean view
3. Good dive center
4. Nightlife for after diving.

It seems the choice come down to deciding which of these parameters comes first, but I want it all!! Please help.

1) The diving is IMO better in the Phi Phi area than Samui. Plus, November is also the start of the dry season in the Phi Phi area, so i would recommend going there.
2) The scenery on Phi Phi is beautiful, nicer than on samui.
3) Good DC's in both places.
4) good in both places, but Samui is bigger and therefor has more to offer in this respect.

All in all, my choice would be Phi Phi.

Thank you, it sounds like good advice. I do like dry weather!

Phi Phi, Koh Lanta (i'd recommend over Phi Phi), Phuket (stay far away from Patong), or for a live aboard trip, Kao Lak.

Hands down you want to be diving over on west coast this time of year if you have any experience and plan on fun diving.

For the future, even when the weather is right here on the East coast, Samui is probably the worst place to base out of. There is some diving (very llittle) nearby, but most companies charge you 30% or more to take you out to Koh Tao where the diving is more developed.

For me, Tao is a wonderful place for a mix of diving and realxing, but if it's just diving you're in for, then Thailand is best done on the West Coast.

in my opinion.

My dive buddy is as much into the relaxing, the nightlife and other activities as he is into the diving. Myself I would rather do a liveaboard. He gets seasick on larger boats - so the choices are really rather difficult! I am starting to lean towards Phi Phi...
We usually dive in Puerto Galera in the Philippines but I am kinda tired of the macro life and want a change! I loved Palau, did a liveaboard on a sailboat, but I need to find out as much as possible before we hit Thailand!
I've also been to Bangkok, Pataya and Phuket, and am really looking forward to getting somewhere less gaudy!

I've also been to Bangkok, Pataya and Phuket, and am really looking forward to getting somewhere less gaudy!
Get away from Patong and Phuket could fit your bill as well. From Phuket most of the divesites are the same as from Phi Phi, with the Racha islands as an added bonus, and you can also do daytrips to the Similans and short overnight trips there, so that might add something.

I agree the diving looks better on the West Coast - so I am now looking at choosing between Phuket and Phi Phi. I am also looking at travel time and bother - so many choices! I did love the nightlife in Phuket... I will keep looking - I just clicked on your website - that may be a good point of reference for us, perhaps to look for hotels near your center!

I choose to open my center in Kata Beach for several reasons, some of them: nice beach, not as crowded as Patong but a good choice of bars, restaurants and accommodation.

So I can recommend Kata, which also seems to suite what you're looking for.

hi,
i did my OWD and AOWD in Koh Lanta, which is just 1 hour from Phi Phi, and went for 2 vacations there, 40+ dives there. i have not been to Samui or Koh Tao yet, so cannot compare these, but heard lots of praise from many diving professionals in Lanta about Tao.

if I only considered diving, now i would only go on liveboard, i got Mermaid recommended by a trusted friend. for land based diving, it is best to stay in Koh Lanta. The only worth place which cannot be done from Lanta is Similan, but Similan is far from anywhere anyway. :) There are zillions of diving companies in Lanta. I personally prefer go with bigger, more comfy slowboats, than speedboats. I m on vacation, no need to rush. Two exceptions: 1) King cruiser wreck and shark point. 2) a speedboat trip to a huge gecko island Koh Rok (divers go diving while family members get wrecked on a fantastic beach), and on way back let the captain take u back through the channel between Lanta and land. With mangrove forests on both sides, water surface as mirror and boat gliding on it, great. Octopus Divers has a good speedboat and the Thai guy there, Kee, deserves his nickname "Plah", means "Fish". Now Nitrox is available, they all get it from one reliable coz German-couple-operated "gas station", membrane-stuff, the only thing they were reluctant to go over 32% to fill just 4 tanks of mine.

from holiday point of view: in my private opinion, Phuket is only worth its airport now, this island got hit by mass tourism and sucks for anybody capable of more than just moving from hotel buffet to a (overpriced) beach chair to a topless bar. But i havnet been to all beaches and all places there. From Phuket u can take boat to PhiPhi (3-4 hours). Last time i flew to Krabi directly, went to Ralay and Ao Nang ("007: Man with golden bullet." ;-) for a trip. Phi Phi is SO beautiful, but also so famous - groups of well healed korean mothers applying their skin-whitening creams (so why do they go to tropics for holiday if they want to stay as white as on dead-bed??) and russians applying their vodkas is not my choice when it comes to neighbors on beach. But it is definitely worth to stay for 2-3 days, see it all, do sea kayak trip etc.
Lanta is good if u hv some precious halves with you who are not as obsessed with diving as you are. Very laid-back place, also during it's conservative muslim chieftain. Thousands of europeans living here long term and running dive shops, beach bars and restaurants. Also great shopping from faked stuff and local art all way to GREAT deals on diving gear. Rent a moped and explore all island...

My favourite book is Thailand: Island and beaches from Lonely Planet.

Have great holiday! Lucas :)

I didn't stay on Koh Samui but did spent time diving on nearby Koh Tao. I then went south to Krabi town, Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi. My preference was decidedly for Phi Phi. However, that was before the tsunami so I can't say anything about it now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom