Koh Lanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are good travelers and usually manage to have a good time no matter what. We had planned on Old Town for tomorrow, so coming today was a no brainer.

Highlight is a lovely sea eagle hovering over the coffee shop.

There weren't any small craft advisories for yesterday, but they are in place today. The website I use, Bouyweather is showing green flags for tomorrow morning and afternoon at Lanta. Things may change, though! I've got my fins crossed for good luck for you (and for me, too since I've got an open water diver doing OW dives 1/2 tomorrow from a boat-- FWIW, Bouyweather is currently showing a red flag for Phuket for this morning, yellow for this afternoon and tomorrow morning, and green for tomorrow afternoon).

Fins crossed then. Looks fine now. Lots of small boats out and white caps are gone.

Lovely day in Old Town. Too much food!

I showed my wife photos of Koh Haa. She's now decided to join me as a non-diver (and possible snorkeler) for that trip. Now I don't feel guilty about doing Hin Daeng/Hin Muang on my own one day!

Well done. Now just convince her to do a trydive at Koh Haa as well :wink: Next thing you know she'll be dragging you to various dive sites!

Unfortunately and in spite of taking seasick medicine, she got quite sick on the way out. She spent about two minutes in the water and decided it was too rough.

I, as usual, had a fine time diving. Viz was only fair though. The Scuba Fish dive operation is quite good and I had an excellent dive guide. He made sure, in advance, that he knew what sort of diving the group wanted to do and what we wanted to see. He did a great job fulfilling our expectations.

Today we're off to do a snorkel only trip to Koh Rok. The sea is much calmer today.

Glad you have revised your assessment of ScubaFish! But so sorry to hear that your wife was seasick. Lots of people were seasick on my boat yesterday, too, including my student! Fortunately she believed me when I told her she would feel better underwater than on the boat, so she bucked up and did the dive. Happily I was right, and she had a good dive after all. In the afternoon the weather calmed down a lot. Today was rough again in the morning (but not as much as yesterday) and flat in the afternoon. I hope the forecasts of more inclement weather for the weekend are wrong since I'm taking two divers on a Phi Phi overnight trip Friday/Saturday if it's not cancelled due to rough conditions!

We had a great day of snorkeling at Koh Rok. Slightly choppy on the way out, but nice and calm in the lagoon (?) with only a slight current when the tide turned. Lots of coral heads shallow enough to observe from the surface but deep enough to be out of harms way from errant snorkelers. My wife got a great introduction to sea life in the Andaman.

ScubaFish run a good dive operation. Our boat to Koh Haa was crowded (it was the only diveable site that day), but they pulled it off smoothly and efficiently. But they could do with some administrative improvements. IMHO they need to:

- notify customers that their booking is confirmed (or not). Even whe I called the main office the person I spoke with was unable to tell me whether or not I had a confirmed booking.

- coordinate better with their Narima branch. When I went in there, as requested, it was like starting all over again: names, dive dates and places, cert level, etc. I went in the next day to drop off my dive gear and had to go through the whole litany again. They need to provide their staff with either access to the booking database or give them a printout of the information they already have. I shouldn't have to repeat it all every time I talk to them.

Hope the weather holds for you Quero and thanks again for your help and advice on this trip. We had a marvelous holiday. Bangkok tonight and Korat tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom