Koh Lanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally got email confirmation. (I didn't know you did Koh Lanta bookings...)
I do. And after reading your post above expressing frustration at the communication lapse, I also wrote to the manager at ScubaFish and specifically asked her to answer your email.

As always, thanks very much.

Just landed at Trang.
As always, my pleasure! Have fun! The place you're staying, Narima, has a good restaurant, and a beach bar where you can enjoy the sunset, too.

Looking forward to the bar. It's a long journey. We left Korat at Noon yesterday. 2:00PM now and the ferry just left Hat Yao Pier in Trang. Stunningly beautiful, though.

As always, my pleasure! Have fun! The place you're staying, Narima, has a good restaurant, and a beach bar where you can enjoy the sunset, too.

And an ice cold pool :D I taught my first IDC on Koh Lanta at the Narima, beautiful location!

Narima turns out to be a great place to stay. Beautiful views, nice rooms, wonderful food and a killer Christmas party on the beach last night. If the weather cooperates (cool, windy and overcast today) we'll do Koh Haa tomorrow.

ScubaFish - Still not impressed.

Woke up this morning to high winds and choppy seas. Online weather sites predicted more of the same for at least the rest of the day. No call from ScubaFish so we got our gear together, had an early breakfast and waited. Pickup was half an hour late. Drove to the boat where we were told that the dive was cancelled. Did they really not know until 8:30 AM that it was going to be too rough to go out?

Now back at Narima scrambling to make alternative plans for the day.

Oh, well. That's the way it goes sometimes....

Ouch! I fully expected your trip to be at risk. Some liveaboards have cancelled trips now due to rough seas. As to the timing, it depends on what the Captain decides, and sometimes the decision really is quite late. They may wait at times to see what radioed reports from other boats that have gone out earlier reveal. I can see how you'd be disappointed in the timing of the announcement of the cancellation, but here's the other side of the coin: it's possible that the delay was cautious, waiting for other reports all the while hoping not to have to cancel.... I've been on boats that have had to turn back, which is an even greater disappointment.

We're enjoying a coffee in Ol Lanta Town now, so a good recovery.

ScubaFish told us they'd call if tomorrow's dive is cancelled. How is it that they'll know in advance tomorrow, but didn't today?

As Quero explained, maybe they waited until the last moment to see what was possible. If the forecast remains the same as today, it's easier to make a decision earlier compared today.

I was about to suggest a visit to Old Town but your wheels found the way already. Hope you enjoy your land based days. Saladan has some great eateries. Some land based info on Lanta can be found here including some good restaurants I visited.

Back
Top Bottom