Koh Bon Pinnacle in danger from abandoned fish net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashooter

Contributor
Reaction score
Having just gotten off a liveaboard, I thought I'd report on the state of Koh Bon Pinnacle, which is under threat from a tight mesh fish net which is sprawled over 1/3 of the pinnacle, trapping even anthias on the rock while keeping out other fish which need the rocks. After having spent 2 dives in deco trying to roll up and cut up the net to minimize damage, it was obvious a more unified approach would be needed to remove and destroy the net. Thai fishermen would buy the net back of course but that would defeat the purpose of removing it. Koh Bon is supposedly a no-fishing zone but 4 fishing boats were fishing off it this morning. I hope that the liveaboard operators which frequent the site will get together to remove this hazard to marine life on the pinnacle.

scubashooter:
Having just gotten off a liveaboard, I thought I'd report on the state of Koh Bon Pinnacle, which is under threat from a tight mesh fish net which is sprawled over 1/3 of the pinnacle, trapping even anthias on the rock while keeping out other fish which need the rocks. After having spent 2 dives in deco trying to roll up and cut up the net to minimize damage, it was obvious a more unified approach would be needed to remove and destroy the net. Thai fishermen would buy the net back of course but that would defeat the purpose of removing it. Koh Bon is supposedly a no-fishing zone but 4 fishing boats were fishing off it this morning. I hope that the liveaboard operators which frequent the site will get together to remove this hazard to marine life on the pinnacle.

Scubashooter. Looks like a new one. We had a charter group of 12 divers in February on the Le Mahe who spent a dive cutting a net off Koh Bon Pinnacle.

It would be real useful if you could pass on details of this, including the date, which boat you were on etc.. to the DOCT (Dive Operators Club of Thailand) at info@doct-phuket.org

We all know fishing boats go where they are not allowed, but more reports are needed that demonstrate the damage being caused.

Thanks

Alistair of DOCT seems to think this is that same net from a month ago. But it's a new one and he says he's been trying to do something about the old one for a month already. Doesn't seem to be much done about it so far. And this net is definitely less than a month old.

I think this is a new net, just 2 days old. I spoke to 1 guide today, he told me they almost saw it happening, and already removed it halfway. Tomorrow they will continue, so there should be something done about it very shortly.
I will make sure the DOCT gets informed from as many sides as possible.

Not to doubt your guide friend but it is far from being 1/2 way done. Our boat was the first on the scene on the 26th and we couldn't dent it much. Another boat, IQ Dive from Thep lamu, was doing the ridge. I'm going out again to check on the net again and bring back a sample of the net for DOCT, TAT and NRCO.

This from the DOCT :

We have arranged a Rescue Mission to get rid of the fishing nets. Details are as follows:

DATE: Monday 3rd May 04.

PLACE: The jetty at Tapla Mu.

BOAT: IQ Diving (Khao Lak)

TIME: 09.00 (9 am) The boat will depart promptly at this time.

NEED: We need between 15 - 20 experienced volunteer divers for this trip. The divers must be very experienced because of the depth of the Pinnacles - at least Rescue level. Nitrox will be available on board for those qualified to use it.

Names of volunteers should be given to Alistair or Khun Lak, as soon as possible, on 076-280319 or 01-892-3320.

NOTE 1: Transport will be arranged for those who require it.

NOTE 2: Divers must bring their own knives (not dive knives - they are not sharp enough) or scissors.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

DOCT Committee.

Wish I could join them, but I'm on the Colona VI from 2 - 6 May. Well, perhaps we can also do a net dive. I will sharpen my best machete...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom