Knighthawk vs BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boffo

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings. I am bucking the trend toward back plates and wings by going go with a Nighthawk. Dive instruction preaches "comfort and fit" come first, so for me, wings take second place.

I hardly think not going with a BP/W constitutes "bucking the trend", as the vast majority of divers have never seen or heard of one. That aside, in my experience with a variety of different BCs the best fit I've ever found was with my backplate and a hogarthian harness. I also find it to be among the most comfortable I've worn. YMMV.

This is another on going debate between BP/W and ordinary BC (back inflation). My point is SP Kngihthawk is also a darn good bc... I also have Halcyon Eclipse, Explorer, Evolve and two SP BCs. If you are going to be within a rec range, SP Knighthawk is more than enough...

Welcome to scuba board!

This is something you are going to have to decide for yourself and how you plan on diving is very important. Are you going to be a recreational diver or a tech diver be it wrecks and/or caves? Will you ever NEED dual tanks? Learn to search for what you are interested in as there are at least 5 threads that directly relate to the questions you will have.

Very subjective and highly talked about in this forum.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Here is a thread on the Knighthawk
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=131754

Just some general info.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=132450

Same here. I've worn my BP/W with just a pair of shorts in the Florida Keys, and been perfectly comfortable. More so than with my SeaQuest Balance, because the rig was more secure.

The only place it was (slightly) less comfortable was out of the water, but just as I don't judge my ski gear by how it feels on the beach, I don't judge my dive gear by how it feels when walking around. :D

BTW, Welcome to Scubaboard!

Thanks for the help. I am a strictly recreational, single tank kind of guy for various reasons, some physical. All I want is to have fun looking at the pretty stuff underwater. I dive mostly California but some warmer waters too. I would like to have one rig that does it all.

boffo:
Greetings. I am bucking the trend toward back plates and wings by going go with a Nighthawk. Dive instruction preaches "comfort and fit" come first, so for me, wings take second place.

If I did not hang out on SB, I seriously doubt I'd even be aware of the BP/W. I do have a couple dive buddies that have them, but I'm not even sure I would have noticed, and would not have met them without SB :D

I dive a Stiletto, and did dive a Ranger. While I prefer a Back inflate BC, that is just my opinion.

One of these days I may end up in FL, and if so I will likely get a BP/W for doubles just so I can strap a huge knife onto my leg, and look cool :11doh: In any event, I think people get too hung up on what they are diving, and the reality is that the best tool for the job is what works. If you need a BP/W great. If you like a BC like the Zeagle BackInflate as I am currently diving, awesome. What ever works of a given individual.

I also think the whole debate over this vs. that is stupid. There ARE people that own, and dive both. It does not have to be one or the other.

boffo:
Thanks for the help. I am a strictly recreational, single tank kind of guy for various reasons, some physical. All I want is to have fun looking at the pretty stuff underwater. I dive mostly California but some warmer waters too. I would like to have one rig that does it all.

The Knighthawk will serve you well :) Now you can join into the Air 2 vs octo debate.

boffo:
I am a strictly recreational, single tank kind of guy for various reasons, some physical. All I want is to have fun looking at the pretty stuff underwater. I dive mostly California but some warmer waters too. I would like to have one rig that does it all.
The majority of my diving is with a single tank in relatively shallow water, but I have done more demanding stuff. I am every bit as happy with my BP/W on 20' shore dives in mid-summer as I am when doing a 150' deco dive in 5' seas with a 38 degree bottom temp, and I'm much happier doing either than I was in the rigs I owned previously. If you want one rig that does it all, I'd be happy to show you mine.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a Knighthawk, if that's what you want. I'm just suggesting that you not dismiss a BP as uncomfortable, ill-fitting, or excessive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom