Knighthawk or Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a zeagle ranger for several years. I've had a black diamond for about 5 years, and I just saw the knighthawk and was really impressed by it (while shopping for a halcyon backplate, which is what I ended up with.

The zeagle was comfortable, but I got very tired of how little structure it had. It was very hard to switch it from one tank to the next, especially on a small boat. This may (or may not) be a factor for you in travel. I also didn't like how it didn't have any pockets or other modern features, and I did not like the way the straps were held to the cummerbund with just black plastic sister screws. I actually had one break on me, the shoulder strap hit me in the face. I went to stainless, and ultimately, the grommet pulled right out of the cummerbund. Both sides. It just couldn't take my big tank, a low pressure 120, plus the integrated weights. They have probably improved the design by now, I bought mine in around 1990. But in any case, I had to do a lot of work on mine. It was the lack of structure in it that really frustrated me, though. I was much slower changing tanks than my buddies.

My black diamond has a lot of structure, and I do like it, but it's a very large draggy bc, lots of stuff on it. I feel like I am wearing too much stuff. It's never been the most comfortable, either.

The knighthawk is the pick of the litter, to me. Much more streamlined in front and in back. Great pockets, on the sides, out of the way. Put too much in the black diamonds front pocket, and you'll know if you ate too much lunch, it's in the way. The knighthawk's back plate has a bit of curve around the hip, it distributes load nicely. Wonderful tank bands. Nice looking inflator. And I really like the buckles on the weights. I have lost weights on the black diamond a couple times. Once the velcro tore off the pouch, once the pouch just plain dropped out on me (I was working really hard during a cleanup, really active in the water, and just lost a pouch with all the bouncing around I was doing).

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I've decided on the Knighthawk. I need a bit more help, however :) I can't seem to find anywhere online that sells it, and the LDS wants around 900 dollars. I've checked Leisure Pro (they have the SuperHawk NT), Divers Direct, NE Scuba, Underwater Sports and several others, but nobody has it. Anyone know a place more inexpensive online place than the dive shops here?
Thanks!
Dane

Did you say 900.00.If you insist buying online ill check my favorites and see what i have listed for the knighthawk.Are you buying yours with an air2 by anychance.If so you may want to consider buying from your local dive shop so the safe 2nd can be serviced.

Im not to sure where your located but i purchased mine from Blair(owner) at Underwater Excursions in Visalia Ca. Im not to sure what i paid for mine but know it was cheaper than 900.00 with an air2.He is also an authorized Scubapro sales and service center.

Still looking for an online retailer who sells it..no luck. Anyone?

I think you'll be happy with the Knighthawk, and even though I can't answer your question as to where to get one I can still say DON'T spend $900 on one. I got mine for under $500 w/AirII. You could have the shop I dealt with mail you one and still save major $$$.

Just an idea if you don't have any luck finding one.

Back
Top Bottom