Knighthawk or Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRS

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving about four years now, mostly in warm water areas. I live in Connecticut, but I am not close to the water here and mostly only dive on vacations. I recently got a Mares Synchro and completed about ten dives with it. I like most aspects of it, but it's just too bulky. I always hear good things about the ranger (except on this board, which I recently started visiting), but I also have heard good things about the Knighthawk, which seems lighter and more easily transported. I do mostly rec diving, but I'd like to keep my options open. Which of these two would you recommend?
Dane

DRS, maybe you should look at a Zeagle Scout. I haven't used one but they look similar to my BC, the Seaquest 3D, which is no longer available. Anyway, it is minimal, comfortable, packs tight and has plenty of lift.

I had considered the Scout as my travel only BC, but I can't seem to find any dealers here or any online shops that sell it. Is the scout capable of some deeper depths (115 or so)? Eventually I'd like to have a more tech oriented BC anyway, so which would you choose between the Knighthawk/Ranger?
Dane

I own the Ranger, and love it. I don't remember reading any negatives about it on this board, unless you count all the divers who have sold theirs on ebay after switching to a backplate/harness system. Have you considered going that route? Or maybe an OMS IQ or Dive Rite Trans Pac II? They would definitely keep your future options open, and seem like they would be easy to travel with.
I chose the Ranger over other BC's because of the ripcord weight release system; had heard about weights falling out of other BC's. Maybe it happens with the Ranger, too, but haven't heard of it. There's also the new Ranger Limited, with some extras.
BTW; I'll probably be switching to a backplate or IQ before long, too.

I have been diving with my knighthawk for about a year now.It is very compact and easy to travel with.Its not bulky and is very comfy.As for pockets,it doesnt have much.It has plenty of d-rings and lift for my needs.I dive mostly cold water and at the time was using a 7mm with 5mm vest.I now dive dry.You definitely cant go wrong with this one.There are a lot of good bc's out there so get the one that suits you best.

Is the nighthawk like teh SeaQuest Black Diamond
I love my BD BC

Yes they both do look a lot alike.Seaquest makes some really nice bc's as do a lot of other companies.Makes choosing so hard.One thing that i admire about the knighthawk which has caused a lot of controversy is the weight ditch setup.Instead of using velcro it uses plastic buckles making sure they dont accidently fall out unlike velcro.The problem is that in a panic situation the diver may not be able to release them.But i have friends with the velcro type and have seen them fall out while they try to chase after them.Overall i prefer the buckle over the velcro and hope i can stay calm enough to release them in a panic situation which is why i use a pony to help prevent that unless i just lose it for some reason.I dont see that happening but who knows...anything is possible.

I'm still rather indecisive :p Anyone know about the SuperHawk by ScubaPro? I've seen it for sale, but it's not mentioned on ScubaPro's site...nor can I find any information on its capabilities.
Thanks for all the responses!
Dane

Hi Dane,

I dive a Ranger and like it and it's great for local diving (read that- car travel diving). On the other hand, I do find it somewhat bulky and excessive for air travel to warm waters. It weighs a good bit, takes up a lot of room in my suitcase and I just don't need 45 lbs of lift. 15 lbs would be more than enough for the way I dive in warm water. As to the "bad" comments about it on this board, please read between the lines- almost all of the ones that complain about it are now BP/wing users and are tech divers. The comments usually boil down to it does not do that well as a tech BC, but if you will notice, none talk bad about it's quality. Boy it pains me to say this, but if your really are going to go tech then maybe a BP/wings is the way to go. An alum BP and a set of travel wings are small and light and you can use the BP and harness for later tech stuff.

As I have a Ranger, I have been looking for a simple lightweight BC to travel with and as I like the quality and fit of the Ranger, I am looking at the Scout. Leisurepro has them for sale on line for about $210. They also have the Ranger and the Escape.. http://www.leisurepro.com/

I think the superhawk has been discontinued by scubapro at least in the U.S. The knighthawk replaced it.The superhawk doesnt have the weight pockets on the backside or a collasible bladder.The knighthawk holds upto 10lbs of non releasable weights on the back which helps you stay upright on the surface.The only downfall that i dont like is that it only holds 20 lbs of releasable weights plus the 10lbs rear trim weights.Most people diving coldwater are right around 30lbs.I wear 32lbs so i also had to buy a 2lb tank weight.One other nice feature is the ability to install the releasable weights after you have donned the bc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom